• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grail completed by Crom!

30 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Shadow said:

Well, it only took 37 years but I have completed my run of Conan the Barbarian from #1 to #275 plus all the Annuals. It's hard to believe the journey has been 37 years. I was 14 when I encountered the books and comics. I'm sure part of the influence was my new fascination with D&D and having read LOTR.

Today, while in Naperville, I acquired the final 3 pieces of the puzzle. (all late Annuals) Now, I have a few issues I want to upgrade but, similar to my JLA run a few years back, I have the set.

On a side note, I also filled in 2 holes of my X-Men run this week. I now have #94 to #310, even though most of the issues past the 180's were past my young collecting days with X-Men and told hold any nostalgia for me. Doubt I will ever complete #1 - #93 but I am almost 1/2 way there.

Thanks for letting me share.

Just out of curiosity which ones did you struggle with the most?

For reasons unknown, I always pull whatever Conan comics come in collections I buy. Must have five long boxes full. One day, I will put them in order and see just what I have. I have nice copies of 1-50 already put aside.

Congrats on finishing a great run.

What's next?

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Just out of curiosity which ones did you struggle with the most?

Later 90's books. They tend to not make it to shows and I rarely found them on the online sellers I use. They aren't worth much but I wanted them at least a 9.2. I managed to wrap up the last 10 books this year. 

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

For reasons unknown, I always pull whatever Conan comics come in collections I buy. Must have five long boxes full. One day, I will put them in order and see just what I have. I have nice copies of 1-50 already put aside.

Congrats on finishing a great run.

What's next?

Some smaller runs. I'm one book away from finishing DC Comics Presents. I'm almost halfway on MTU. X-Men is a moon shot. I may try all the Batman team ups in Brave and The Bold. I have #130 on plus the 100 pagers and Neal Adams books. Mix in the three JLA and the Teen Titans and it's a nice collection so far.

42 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Later 90's books. They tend to not make it to shows and I rarely found them on the online sellers I use. They aren't worth much but I wanted them at least a 9.2. I managed to wrap up the last 10 books this year. 

Yeah they are tough. Some of the minis toward the late 90s had a very low print run.

15 hours ago, Shadow said:

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yeah they are tough. Some of the minis toward the late 90s had a very low print run.

3 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Well done!  I can picture having trouble with the end of the run, the print runs must've been miniscule.

I had it relatively easy, just aiming for the first 100 issues, with very large print runs and easier availability.  I remember, as a kid,  going to a Manchester comic mart in the late 70s and picking up NM pence copies of 25 to 45 quite effortlessly, apart from the Non - Distributed Adams issue.   

The last series I bought new was the 3-issue Conan the Barbarian mini-series from 1997.  Is that quite tough now?

Edited by Ken Aldred

18 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I had it relatively easy, just aiming for the first 100 issues, with very large print runs and easier availability.  I remember, as a kid,  going to a Manchester comic mart in the late 70s and picking up NM pence copies of 25 to 45 quite effortlessly, apart from the Non - Distributed Adams issue.   

The last series I bought new was the 3-issue Conan the Barbarian mini-series from 1997.  Is that quite tough now?

I chose to stop my quest with the original series. I actually stopped buying them new back in the early 80's maybe around the 140's. As much as I liked the books and earlier issues, I grew tired of the same old storylines.