• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimmed?

12 posts in this topic

Is this eBay JIM 91 trimmed?

I'd thought I'd let you experts let me know.

I normally don't have to worry about that c r a p with my mid grade books. frown.gif

Disclaimer:

I am not accusing the seller of trimming, or of intentionally selling a trimmed book without discloser.

Just in case you are watching... hi.gif

Tiny scan is hard to say for sure

But I would say no..Not Trimmed

What made you think it might be trimmed?

Ze-

Tiny scan is hard to say for sure

But I would say no..Not Trimmed

What made you think it might be trimmed?

Ze-

Looks trimmed along the top, unless that issue has production problems.

The Comic Code stamp is right up on the edges, top and right.

Here's another copy that looks more normal along the top.

The right edge was cropped a little but it's not my scan, just another eBay one.

818168-JIM91n.jpg

818168-JIM91n.jpg.8b40ff98b41c753b97f254e7900fab96.jpg

Here's another copy that looks more normal along the top.

The right edge was cropped a little but it's not my scan, just another eBay one.

818168-JIM91n.jpg

The other copy is much tighter along the top, but has more space along the bottom edge (note Thor's boots.) So, the books have the same amount of area on the front cover, one is just shifted up a bit.

The trimmed looking top edge is more likely a product of a factory miscut rather than a post production trim.

818168-JIM91n.jpg819252-Thor91a.jpg

I think you are right.

I can see the extra space under the left foot being about equal to the missing space at the top.

819252-Thor91a.jpg.34c31aa00a2a1804731c371714f805ab.jpg

I can see the extra space under the left foot being about equal to the missing space at the top.

I do not see it this way. Enlarge the pictures, and you'll see it's not even close. This book is obviously a "tester" for someone who trims comic books.

I do not see it this way. Enlarge the pictures, and you'll see it's not even close. This book is obviously a "tester" for someone who trims comic books.

confused-smiley-013.gif I don't think this is obvious.

On the book with the "suspect" top edge, you can clearly see a margin under Thor's left heel and the bottom edge.

On the book with the "okay" looking top edge, there is no space between Thor's left heel and the bottom edge.

It appears to be about 1/8th inch either way.

Certainly anything is possible, but it's a real stretch to say this book is obviously trimmed based on these scans alone.

Here's my copy. Obviously more room to the right of the code stamp, but look how much less room there is in the left side of the Marvel Box. I'd say your copy is likely not trimmed.

thor091big.jpg

On the book with the "okay" looking top edge, there is no space between Thor's left heel and the bottom edge. It appears to be about 1/8th inch either way.

I could be wrong, but when I superimposed it over my own scan the book in question seemed to have more off the top than it allowed on the bottom. Could be an off-cut or the book could be just a bit smaller than the standard size or the scan could be off a bit.

There are deviations, but I would still be hesitant to put too much money down, even for a low-grade copy.