• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 4

229 posts in this topic

Oh, and incase people really do check the census frown.gif, here let me save you the trouble "CENSUS" tongue.gif

Why the frown.gif Nikos?

What is taboo with checking the Census?

It is not exactly a secret, or the end all in how we might arrive at our guess.

I use it..

Not to try and help me nail the grade... as much to just make sure the Census actually list's a book in the grade I went with.

In the end we still gotta make our choice all on our own.

And lately I went with the clunker of my 2 available choices.

Ze-

The purpose of this contest/exercise is to see how we grade based on a scan, and not worry about your guess existing on the census or not.

By all means feel free to check the census if you have to, if its going to sway your guess on a grade.

Ask yourself this, do you check the census when buying a book based on a scan Raw poke2.gif

The purpose of this contest/exercise is to see how we grade based on a scan, and not worry about your guess existing on the census or not.

By all means feel free to check the census if you have to, if its going to sway your guess on a grade.

Ask yourself this, do you check the census when buying a book based on a scan Raw poke2.gif

Just for the record:

I am not searching the census and not pondering my guess too long. Going with first impression as a rule. As Nikos can attest, my grades guesses have been coming pretty fast. thumbsup2.gif

Umm.. no.. why would I,?... Not sure what your point is. confused-smiley-013.gif

What does that have to do with using the Census as a cross reference before submitting a grade guess on a CGC graded book? In a CGC grading contest?

I am not checking to see what the given scan shown is, compared to what I think it is. I am using the census to see if it even lists a book in the grade I want to submit.

If I were to guess 8.0 on a book... and the census did not list an 8.0 for that paticular book.

Why would I still submit an 8.0 grade guess?.. even if that is what I believed the book to be.

We are not privy to grader notes.. which would tell alot more then the provided scan. We are basically guessing from a scan, what CGC graded a book... (who had it in hand.)

The Census is part of many ways we try and narrow down what a book might NOT be.. rather than what it actually is.

Ze-

Just for the record:

I am not searching the census and not pondering my guess too long. Going with first impression as a rule. As Nikos can attest, my grades guesses have been coming pretty fast. thumbsup2.gif

And this is why you are winning sumo.gif

The Census is part of many ways we try and narrow down what a book might NOT be.. rather than what it actually is.

I like that... that is pretty Zen.

To know something, we must know what it is not.

Just for the record:

And this is why you are winning sumo.gif

At least up till now... tongue.gif

At least up till now... tongue.gif

Stomp on us Jay... sumo.gif you are up. yay.gif Time to play hardball! makepoint.gif

These past few rounds you nailed it..many of us flipped a coin, and while close.. were wrong.

And are now lying in the beds we made.

Wether you just guessed, or knew outright.... it does not matter.

You be top dog now.....

Now...go Broc-o-lee on us and tell us you knew you were better then everyone else! And how stupid we must all be.

Ze-

First of all, checking the census is about the last thing I do.

Secondly, how stupid would you feel if you gave a book a grade of 9.4, and it turned out there was no 9.4s in the census. It's just practicing due diligence as far as I'm concerned. I've got 10 points because I've graded the books pretty accurately so far, not because the census is some forbidden secret weapon!

Besides, the census is no use for a book with a new label anyway, because the census numbers aren't definitive. So checking the census is not exactly giving anyone an edge,....it can be as misleading as it can be helpful.

I'm not basing my guesses on the census. Just confirming them. And I was only able to do that with one book so far.

So, like....get over it! sumo.gif

Secondly, how stupid would you feel if you gave a book a grade of 9.4, and it turned out there was no 9.4s in the census. It's just practicing due diligence as far as I'm concerned. I've got 10 points because I've graded the books pretty accurately so far, not because the census is some forbidden secret weapon!

Besides, the census is no use for a book with a new label anyway, because the census numbers aren't definitive. So checking the census is not exactly giving anyone an edge,....it can be as misleading as it can be helpful.

I'm not basing my guesses on the census. Just confirming them. And I was only able to do that with one book so far.

If this was supposed to be directed at me, let me say I don't care if anyone else checks the census or not. I do not. This is just a fun contest to help me be able to hone my grading skills and as far as I'm concerned. (Thanks Nikos!) I've just been lucky so far with my gut instincts. Just living in the limelite whilst I can... flowerred.gif

Just living in the limelite whilst I can

gossip.gif That was NOT Brockleyesque!

And of course this is all for fun...just a little spirited conversation amongst friends.

Heck if we all agreed on everything.. how fun would that be?

Ze

Just living in the limelite whilst I can

gossip.gif That was NOT Brockleyesque!

And of course this is all for fun...just a little spirited conversation amongst friends.

Heck if we all agreed on everything.. how fun would that be?

Ze

Well in that case...

That WAS a 9.4 and I NAILED it dambit!!! poke2.gif

Jayman, that was definitely NOT directed at you......for sure. Just a little playful person_without_enough_empathyiness on my part!

And congrats on your perfect run so far! acclaim.gif

Well in that case...

That WAS a 9.4 and I NAILED it dambit!!! poke2.gif

Well in that case....

You're goin' DOWN muvverfugger!

confused.gif (runs to go check census numbers on Cap 109!) stooges.gif

Red - Leave the "due diligence" to the lawyers sumo.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

stooges.gif

Dirty%20Harry.jpg

".....I know what your thinking,......do I guess a little higher,......or do I guess a little lower?"

"...Well seeing as that your going against the most powerfull graders in the whole world,

....and would blow your grading skills CLEAN OFF!! " "....You got to ask yourself one

question,....DO I FEEL LUCKY......... WELL DO YOU PUNK!!! "