• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 4

229 posts in this topic

thats it, im no longer going to look at the scans, just tell me the issue number, and I'll base my guess entirely on the census.

Don't forget to check Nikos & greggy's Ebay histories as well. poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BassGman.

That was a pretty barbed post bro..

I thought all this talk about using the census as a tool was just talk.

Some might like to look, others might not. I have serious doubts that anyone is basing their grade on what they see in the census. Or it even helps that much.

Like everyone else here, I pretty much make my grade decision the first time I look at the scan.

I personally would rather look at the census after my decision, and make sure the grade I chose is actually represented in the census, especially if it is an old label. Rather then throw away my grade if my guess is not even possible out of all the submitted books of that title #. And even then I might not even care.. To me it is common sense, you it is a form of cheating.

We obviously differ

Why was this not a big deal in the previous grading contests?.It was talked about all the time.

To hear you basically call the census peekers... the roid users of the grading contest, and while not actually cheating is taking the fun out of the contest is pretty pointed commentary.

And to that say ego's of any form are not involved in a contest involving 74 people is not really correct. Just look at how heated this silly topic has become.

Guess we will just have to stay in seperate corners at the next Con Dinner, and that bums me out. frown.gif

Ze-

Ze-, don't take it personally bro'. I wasn't talking to you specifically although I did decide to comment after reading your post. I don't consider "census peeking" as cheating at all, because everyone is on even grounds as it is an available tool for all to use, if interested. I just cannot understand why anyone would want to. A grading contest (in my opinion) is all about using your own skill in judging a couple scans. Helping verify the guess as being possibly accurate by checking to see if the CGC grade exists in the census seems to take some of the game away, in my opinion.

Regarding ego, of course there is nothing wrong with competition and wanting to win, that is healthy ego. But it is funny to see some people on the threads trying to justify their incorrect grades. Just seems like some people take this all too seriously. Nothing wrong with that. This competition may be a very important thing to some people. I just see it as a fun little contest and want to see how well I do.

Since CGC grading is subjective, and since grading off of a couple scans is not nearly as good as grading in person, I see anyone as averaging at least one point per session throughout the contest pretty much knows what they are doing.

And regarding con dinners, anyone that cares to can certainly avoid me, but I will certainly not be avoiding anyone myself. flowerred.gif

thats it, im no longer going to look at the scans, just tell me the issue number, and I'll base my guess entirely on the census.

Don't forget to check Nikos & greggy's Ebay histories as well. poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just don't use any slab you bought for the last six months hippy! sumo.gif

BassGman.

That was a pretty barbed post bro..

I thought all this talk about using the census as a tool was just talk.

Some might like to look, others might not. I have serious doubts that anyone is basing their grade on what they see in the census. Or it even helps that much.

Like everyone else here, I pretty much make my grade decision the first time I look at the scan.

I personally would rather look at the census after my decision, and make sure the grade I chose is actually represented in the census, especially if it is an old label. Rather then throw away my grade if my guess is not even possible out of all the submitted books of that title #. And even then I might not even care.. To me it is common sense, you it is a form of cheating.

We obviously differ

Why was this not a big deal in the previous grading contests?.It was talked about all the time.

To hear you basically call the census peekers... the roid users of the grading contest, and while not actually cheating is taking the fun out of the contest is pretty pointed commentary.

And to that say ego's of any form are not involved in a contest involving 74 people is not really correct. Just look at how heated this silly topic has become.

Guess we will just have to stay in seperate corners at the next Con Dinner, and that bums me out. frown.gif

Ze-

Forget to take your anti-FDQ pills today, Kenny? poke2.gif I think you're reading way too much into Sid's post.

I feel the way Sid does about it (besides, using the census is as likely to mislead you as help you if Nikos is using books that aren't in the latest census update yet), but you can sit next to me at the next forum dinner anyway.

Bring a big wine glass. yay.gif

Forget to take your anti-FDQ pills today, Kenny? poke2.gif I think you're reading way too much into Sid's post.

I feel the way Sid does about it (besides, using the census is as likely to mislead you as help you if Nikos is using books that aren't in the latest census update yet), but you can sit next to me at the next forum dinner anyway.

Bring a big wine glass. yay.gif

say, are you going to be around next weekend or not?

I feel the way Sid does about it (besides, using the census is as likely to mislead you as help you if Nikos is using books that aren't in the latest census update yet)

Which I why I am amazed at the reaction over people even looking at it.

I know it is not updated. As do others I assume.

The boards have been slow, not much drama. This was just a minor sideshow till the next, real flamewar sparks up.

Ze-

I never thought of using the census. The contest is all about submitting your best observation in regard to the comic shown in each round. If you're using the census to help base your guess then your missing the point.IMHO smile.gif

Except when you know it is an old label book and you think it might be a 9.8 and you check the census and there is only one in that grade, then I can see that it would be a help. Otherwise I don't see how it could help, I haven't used the census yet and you can see how good I'm doing, okay stop laughing!

Anyways the next best thing to do is put up a 3 copies of Thor #132 or a #156 in a random order and try to figure out which is the 9.4, 9.6 and the 9.8, each must have 2,000 in 9.4 or higher. (or you could use a McFarlane Spidey #1 or Spawn #1)

Except when you know it is an old label book and you think it might be a 9.8 and you check the census and there is only one in that grade, then I can see that it would be a help.

How exactly would that help you? If you think this copy might be a 9.8, how does the fact that there is one copy in the census at 9.8 help you determine whether THIS copy is that ONE 9.8? screwy.gif