• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would CCS do in this case?

4 posts in this topic

A book is sent to CCS for a dry clean and press with no screening service selected to see if the book would benefit from such techniques.  To compound the matter let's say the books structural integrity is compromised by having brittle pages and/or spine.  In a perfect world the submitter should have know better but curious if anyone knows if CCS would proactively pull a GA book where a press would actually cause further damage or just go-ahead with the process?

I'm not sure about their regular pressing service, but their website states under the quick press service: "CCS does not offer its Screening service for QuickPress. As a result, please take care not to submit books with low page quality or weak staple areas."

I would imagine a regular press with no screen would be similar?

If you don't pay for prescreen, CCS just presses your book(s). There have been over the years a number of "CCS Damaged my books" threads here on the Collector Society (CGC) forums. Invariably, the person that had the book damaged did not pay for screening. Invariably, it was concluded that the book was a bad candidate for pressing.  And invariably, the OP was disappointed in the overall lack of sympathy that was offered by those replying to the thread. 

Send books  to CCS and don't pay for prescreen  then CCS does not contact the submitter and say "your book might fall apart".  They just press it. And if it falls apart that's on the submitter. If he or she can't tell if a book might fall apart in pressing, then they should pay for the screening. 

Edited by Tony S