• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

September Mourning (Top Cow/Image)

6 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to everyones thoughts on this comic..

This whole concept seems pretty unique to me.

SeptemberMourning-v1_Cov.jpg

For those/Most not in the know, september mourning is a Comic book and a Heavy Metal band. The band itself is based off the comic book which seems like a neat idea to me anyways. 

Here's a link to the wiki because it can explain it better than I ever could.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_Mourning

The comic came out 2 weeks ago and sold out right away. I missed the boat on it but luckily my lcs owner knows when I might think something is cool so he put a copy aside for me. After reading it I was totally all in! It made me check out the band and really like the music as well.

Anyways whats your thoughts on this? Seems like a wicked concept to me... I think these 2 forms of media go hand in hand. 

After doing a bit more digging tonite it looks like this may be a new trend. 

"Lights" is a canadian synth pop artist, she's fairly popular, now has a Comic book called Skin & Earth coming out from Dynamite comics, again the Comic book (Fully written and drawn by her) goes hand in hand with her new cd coming out in the fall. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVEIc5Ovi3PL3BCTj58-7

Do you think a) the band/artist could drive the popularity of the book? or vise versa?

anyways consider me intrigued... Thoughts??

Edited by TheRealVenom

This isn't a new idea, maybe new for the format. Manufactured bands have been around forever - the Monkees, tons of boy bands, and of course the Gorillaz when you're thinking of a comic book connection.

But yeah, I don't think I've ever seen this exact format either.

I think its pretty cool to be honest, a band forming out of a comic and the creator is the singer. 

If the band ends up blowing up or gets a big cult following I wonder if the value of the comic goes with it?

I don't see why not, but the chances of the band blowing up are probably the slim and none side of the equation more than anything, the cover art looks awful Goth-y, as does the name... is that still a thing? 

But as they say, you never know.