• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Ashcan Copies Exist Of Different Books?

226 posts in this topic

I guess you would have to ask him that. He might have just liked Fawcetts. I will tell you this, it seems like he had more photos of Fawcetts in the Photo-Journal then he had in relation to others. So, the ashcans may have been part of that.

Unfortunately he has passed away. frown.gif

Oh, didn't know that. I thought he was still around. What anyone else in his family that might have helped him put the Photo-Journal together? Also, he had a geographical map of people who contributed to the Photo-Journal. One or 2 of the parties were in SE Kansas(near Pittsburg from what I could tell). Anyone, know who that was?

Gerber Volume 2 Pg. 784 has an image of the ashcan cover to World's Best Comics #1. The cover art is from Action Comics #29.

I thought there were some others, but many of the major ones are missing. I know there are no Action ashcans listed. I don't think, but haven't checked, as to Superman.

Oh, didn't know that. I thought he was still around. What anyone else in his family that might have helped him put the Photo-Journal together? Also, he had a geographical map of people who contributed to the Photo-Journal. One or 2 of the parties were in SE Kansas(near Pittsburg from what I could tell). Anyone, know who that was?

His wife did the book with him. Many of the books photographed were/are Jon Berks. Not sure if Jon ever owned the ashcans and perhaps that is the simple answer.

Paging Jon, paging Jon! hi.gif

His wife did the book with him. Many of the books photographed were/are Jon Berks. Not sure if Jon ever owned the ashcans and perhaps that is the simple answer.

Paging Jon, paging Jon! hi.gif

.....sorry, i was snoozing. What's the question? jon

....sorry, i was snoozing. What's the question? jon

Mark would like to know if, because Ernie used a lot of your books for the photo-journal and because the photo journal tends to focus on Fawcett ashcans, you ever owned said Fawcett ashcans?

Thread-monitor Scrooge

Mark would like to know if, because Ernie used a lot of your books for the photo-journal and because the photo journal tends to focus on Fawcett ashcans, you ever owned said Fawcett ashcans?

Thread-monitor Scrooge

And why, if you know, are there basically only Fawcett ashcans in the Gerber guides to the exclusion of all the other known ashcans, even at that time.

Thread-monitor Scrooge

And why, if you know, are there basically only Fawcett ashcans in the Gerber guides to the exclusion of all the other known ashcans, even at that time.

I really do not know. Here is what I do know. At the time Thrill and Flash for Fawcett was a big deal since it not only was the origin of he we know as 'Captain Marvel', he was referred to as 'Capt. Thunder'. ( I do have the Flash (fawcett) ashcan only.....) It was both the title and character they were trying to lock down.

Gary C. had most of the ashcans that came out of DC, but I do not recall when he acquired them. I simply think Ernie did not have access and/or knowledge.

As to me and the Gerber Guides

The Marvel Photo-Journal is 97% plus my books. Ernie and Paul spent two weeks at my house.....

As to the GA Photo Journal I did make it to the Gang in the upper acknowedgement- mainly for my Centaur/Chesler/Ultem collection (I wish that most of the GA Photo Journal were mine!!!!)

As some of you may know Ernie had to purchase many of the books to photograph. That is why he wound up with so many Church books.

For the GA it was VERY expensive. Color separation for EACH book. For the Marvel book he shot them by half pages (books standing on pins against black velvet. The task I had after he left was to re-bag all my Marvels and Atlas books - see the Marvel Deluxe version---I got him to add some Magazine covers and the Marvel books from foreign countries.)

The Jounals were a labor of love/obsession for Ernie for which comicdom is forever in his debt (and for inventing the machine/process to heat seal mylars!)

Jon

First of all, the Fawcett ashcans surfaced before the DC ashcans and were in the collections of some big time collector/dealers. So when Ernie was photographing the Fawcetts it made sense that the ashcans got photographed too.

I have 3 odd-ball Windy City copies in the GA Photo Journals (2 Fox Giants and something else I can't remember...) but Ernie never asked me to include my ashcans and I never offered them. Looking back that was a big mistake because I knew in my heart that collectors would love to see them and learn more about them. Had they been photographed in Gerber I believe that my crusade to get them listed in Overstreet would be over. Why these important comic books are not listed in Overstreet is still a msytery to me.

There are some really obscure promo items that are listed in Overstreet - but not the first editions of Superman, Wonder Woman, Crack, Cyclone, Champion, and other truly historic and important books.

Maybe I'll run a poll and get the opinions of this board...

Second, hand stitched and trimmed means that the ashcan was hand-stapled and trimmed instead of those processes being done by a machine.

First of all, the Fawcett ashcans surfaced before the DC ashcans and were in the collections of some big time collector/dealers. So when Ernie was photographing the Fawcetts it made sense that the ashcans got photographed too.

I have 3 odd-ball Windy City copies in the GA Photo Journals (2 Fox Giants and something else I can't remember...) but Ernie never asked me to include my ashcans and I never offered them. Looking back that was a big mistake because I knew in my heart that collectors would love to see them and learn more about them. Had they been photographed in Gerber I believe that my crusade to get them listed in Overstreet would be over. Why these important comic books are not listed in Overstreet is still a msytery to me.

There are some really obscure promo items that are listed in Overstreet - but not the first editions of Superman, Wonder Woman, Crack, Cyclone, Champion, and other truly historic and important books.

Maybe I'll run a poll and get the opinions of this board...

Second, hand stitched and trimmed means that the ashcan was hand-stapled and trimmed instead of those processes being done by a machine.

As Gary knows, I fully agree with him that all ashcans should be listed in the Guide. What is so strange is that some are while others, arguably more important ones, are not. Even stranger is that the 5 Cent ashcan I have actually has values listed just like any other comic!!!! No one, even Bob Overstreet, can recall why that is. confused-smiley-013.gif

There is no true prices for ashcans. They are so unique that they are worth whatever someone wants to sell them for and whatever amount someone ends up buying them for. Thus, I believe that the Guide should simply note, if known, some prior sales, which is what is done now for some of the listed ashcans.

Thanks for the info Moondog. It makes my quest for an ashcan for my collection, much more strategic in nature. I didn't know there were some promotional oddities in OS. I never use one. I, go by what the market has available and price at the time of buy. If I had known about the promotional items, I would have answered yes to your poll. Sorry for the no.

Tim...

I worded the poll the way I did to be fair. The choice of "cool oddities" I think is how some people view them. I could have simply said "do they belong in Overstreet - yes or no." I think that's a bit too manipulative...

No problem on the vote. Honest feedback is what I want.

--Gary