• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Ashcan Copies Exist Of Different Books?

226 posts in this topic

Wow Mark... Nice pick-up! Where'd that one come from?

I'm surprised by the 4.5. Looks nicer in the scan. What's the problem with it?

It does look much better. The defects are visible upon close examination. There are some creases that might have been created by folding the book at one point, and there are some, not sure how to describe this, book length creases/ridges (?) that are on the spine side. You might be able to see it in the 10c circle. It is possible that the top staple is also pulling away from the book. Not entirely sure, but it is one of those books that probably looks better when CGC'd!

I obtained it from another collector.

I bought the Flash ashcan also but haven't received it yet. I'll post it when I do.

Edited by esquirecomics

If you have access to Mastronet catalogs you'll find the All-Star, Cyclone, and O.K ashcans.

--Gary

From the May 17, 2002 Mastronet catalog...

Lot 1022) The Ashcan Copy of All Star Comics #1 - Spring, 1940 - Only Known Copy

The Ashcan Copy of All Star Comics #1 - CGC grade FN/VF 7.0, unrestored, two small pieces of tape on interior cover, off-white pages, Spring of 1940, predates All Star Comics #1, used to trademark title.

It features the first appearance of the classic All Star Comics logo that is unofficially credited to the hand of All-American's Editor Shelly Mayer. The artwork used for the cover is the Sheldon Moldoff cover for Flash Comics #1, originally published with a cover date of January, 1940. The cover is unique when compared to most ashcans, as it is a wrap around cover that contains ads on the back and inside covers, as well as an indicia section at the bottom of the inside front cover. All of this was done as a double-side velox print on non-gloss, white paper stock. This is very unusual, as most ashcan copies had separate front and back covers, with no indicia or ad printing at all, only a velox print of a front cover image that included the title logo that was to be trademarked. DC went well out of their way to make this ashcan appear as close to a standard newsstand version as possible, with the absense of color on the outer covers being the only notable difference. It's interesting to note that, despite all their efforts, there is no "DC bullet" on the front cover. It is also noteworthy that this ashcan carries a cover date at all, as most did not. It seems evident that DC intended to give the impression that this was a title that was already in circulation. The contents of the book are the complete interior pages for Detective Comics #37, published with a cover date of March, 1940.

So what's the actual provedance of this rarity? Well, unlike most ashcans that have been discovered to date, little is known about this one. It was purchased by noted collector Jack Mallette, from a collector/dealer who had advertised it in the classifieds of Alan Light's The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom (now called CBG), sometime in the mid-1970's. Mallette sold it to Gary Colabuono in 1992 for the sum of $15,000.

1167035-AllStarAshcan_cgc70_Mastronet.jpg

1167035-AllStarAshcan_cgc70_Mastronet.jpg.e07d0a514018df8a20b2c367e88a8a2e.jpg

I miss this one. The actual deal with Jack was for $12,000 cash and 3 pages from Justice League # 1.

Sellers remorse hit the second the auction closed. I know who owns it too. Really nice fellow. It'll be locked away forever...

I miss this one. The actual deal with Jack was for $12,000 cash and 3 pages from Justice League # 1.

Sellers remorse hit the second the auction closed. I know who owns it too. Really nice fellow. It'll be locked away forever...

foreheadslap.giffrown.gifmad.giffrustrated.gif

It was purchased by noted collector Jack Mallette, from a collector/dealer who had advertised it in the classifieds of Alan Light's The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom (now called CBG), sometime in the mid-1970's. Mallette sold it to Gary Colabuono in 1992 for the sum of $15,000.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i don't exactly follow. i gather the following timeline:

Advertisement 1970s --> Jack Mallette ownership --> Gary Colabuono ownership 1992 --> 2002 Mastronet Auction

was Gary the person who had seller's remorse? did u own the book at some point?

It was purchased by noted collector Jack Mallette, from a collector/dealer who had advertised it in the classifieds of Alan Light's The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom (now called CBG), sometime in the mid-1970's. Mallette sold it to Gary Colabuono in 1992 for the sum of $15,000.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i don't exactly follow. i gather the following timeline:

Advertisement 1970s --> Jack Mallette ownership --> Gary Colabuono ownership 1992 --> 2002 Mastronet Auction

was Gary the person who had seller's remorse? did u own the book at some point?

Moondog == Gary Colabuono

Yup. While a dealer will keep books in slabs for future resale, most GA collectors I know will crack them open to enjoy their acquisition. Especially with something as unique as an ashcan, where miniscule differences in grade don't make a substantial difference in value. Hell, keep the label with the book if the grade CGC guesstimated is that important (for some unknown reason). The comic is less likely to be damaged once free of the slab anyway if properly stored, given the propensity of slabs to wrinkle corners.

Yup. While a dealer will keep books in slabs for future resale, most GA collectors I know will crack them open to enjoy their acquisition. Especially with something as unique as an ashcan, where miniscule differences in grade don't make a substantial difference in value. Hell, keep the label with the book if the grade CGC guesstimated is that important (for some unknown reason). The comic is less likely to be damaged once free of the slab anyway if properly stored, given the propensity of slabs to wrinkle corners.

Well, none of my ashcans are for sale, nor do I envision that occurring any time within the near future. And I fully agree that for the most part the grade of the ashcan is far less significant than it would be for a regular comic.

However, personally, I do prefer to keep the books in their slabs if I buy them that way as I find it less likely that I will damage them. The less I handle them, the better.

However, personally, I do prefer to keep the books in their slabs if I buy them that way as I find it less likely that I will damage them. The less I handle them, the better.

FWIW, I agree completely thumbsup2.gif

Edited by Ivanko