• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Ashcan Copies Exist Of Different Books?

226 posts in this topic

There is one Superman/Superhombre ashcan known to exist. It's owned by a collector who also owns the only known Supergirl ashcan. It's a low-grade book - probably Fair/Good. The cover art is the same as the small Superman/Superhombre logo that ran on the cover of Action 302?, 303?, 304? near the DC bullet. It's dated April, 1945 and the interior is Superman 31.

There are only 2 Superwoman ashcans that are know to exist. DC has one in there archives and I own the other. There is no Superwoman content in the book. The cover is More Fun 73 and the interior is Action 38. It's dated January, 1942.

My ultimate goal was to own the Superman, Superwoman, Superboy and Supergirl ashcans. When I could not acquire the Supergirl, I sold the Superboy back to Joe Desris, and I sold one of my 2 Superman issues.

Yep, that sounds right Moondog.

Mark, if you are interested I will ask the owner of the "Superhombre" "Supergirl" ashcans if they are for sale. I would be happy to put you 2 in touch.

Krazy

Kat:

I don't have my notes at hand - and don't remember the name of the owner of the Supergirl and Superhombre ashcans - but are you saying that he's ready to sell? The fellow who owns them is a real nice guy - but very stubborn! sumo.gif

It would be very interesting to see how these books would do in today's marketplace. They are both the only known copies to exist.

I'd be interested in them...as would many others.

--Gary

Thanks Tom. I'll just buy it. Everyone stay away from this auction!!! takeit.gif

If someone does outbid you, rest easy. That's the easiest of the Sotheby's catalogs to get...

Speaking of relative difficulty... anyone got an extra copy of the tough 1992 catalog lying around? Or the 1994 and 1995 Catalogs from Christies?

I think I have all of those. I'll check at home.

I also have an extra copy of the 1991 catalog if anyone needs it. It's in great shape. Amazing books in there, truly. cloud9.gif

Can someone explain to me why it appears as though only DC was in the business of submitting aschans back in the day? Why didn't Marvel/Timley do the same or at least as often?

That was a question I had as well. It may be that the Timely ashcans just haven't made it out of the company's archives, OR there is a good chance they were destroyed. That was the intended fate of the DC copies until they were "rescued".

Can someone explain to me why it appears as though only DC was in the business of submitting aschans back in the day? Why didn't Marvel/Timley do the same or at least as often?

That was a question I had as well. It may be that the Timely ashcans just haven't made it out of the company's archives, OR there is a good chance they were destroyed. That was the intended fate of the DC copies until they were "rescued".

Perhaps a question for Stan Lee or Marvel?

The Superman ashcan is my favorite. Anyone know how many exist, when the last

recorded sale was, & for how much? What a great piece of history all those old ashcans are!

According to Moondog, there are only two Superman ashcans known to exist. The 9.0 has

changed hands a few times (last sold on Heritage in April 2004). He still own the 7.5.

I think the 9.0 went for around $34K

Edited by Harvey Dude