• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I obtain and use a dealer's CGC discount for submitting books?

14 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this or steer me in the right direction.  I did a search but couldn't find anything that gives me the who, what, how, and where.  I've heard you can use an authorized dealer's account to submit books and get the 10 or 20% discount on grading when submitting books.  How do I go about obtaining this info and how do I apply it to my invoice?  Are there dealers on here that will provide it or is it something that has to be requested from a dealer via purchase or by sending my books to them to be submitted?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Good question since I'm sure there has to be a break even price point.  In other words, at what amount of submissions is the dealer rate worth it.

Isn't there a dealer membership under the profile section?

Edited by HighRadArea

28 minutes ago, NetworkSecure said:

Are you asking how to submit through a dealer? First you find an authorized CGC dealer and then you submit through them.

??????

If you want to sign up for the 15% off membership it's right here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/join/

If you're a full time dealer you can get an account here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/dealerapp1.asp

No, I've heard and read of others on here who simply recommended folks use the CGC authorized dealer's account when submitting books on their own either directly on the CGC online submission page or by printing out and filling the form out manually and shipping the books directly to CGC or dropoff at a con without involving the dealer.  I've submitted books through dealers before where they take possession of the books but that sometimes takes a longer time due to them not shipping them out for long after they receive them and after they are received back from CGC. 

I recall even reading an ASK CGC reference to doing this on your own on the site or on here somewhere with a link that was supposed to tell you the exact steps but that link only points you to the authorized dealer listing. Made it seem like the dealer account info was listed somewhere on the CGC site available to be supplied on the form to submit on your own.  However, I can't seem to locate that page, if it ever existed and wondering how others on here were able to use a dealer's account to submit books directly.  Maybe I'm just crazy thinking I heard/read this was ever something offered up by dealers out of courtesy.  I was just wondering what the etiquette and process of requesting/using a dealer's account to get the discount might be aside from cold calling one up and saying "hi, can I please use your CGC dealer account number to submit some books for the discount?"  I'd use my LCS but they don't have an account with CGC.

9 minutes ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

The reason dealers submit books for people is to make money. Don't think you'll find one giving there account info out for nothing. 

K, guess I just misunderstood why it was being recommended by folks on here to submit using a dealers account over paying for the membership.  $40/yr for 10% discount and free graders notes is starting to seem like a better option than paying a dealer to do it for you and not getting any of the benefits. Am I missing something? (shrug)

17 minutes ago, justafan said:

K, guess I just misunderstood why it was being recommended by folks on here to submit using a dealers account over paying for the membership.  $40/yr for 10% discount and free graders notes is starting to seem like a better option than paying a dealer to do it for you and not getting any of the benefits. Am I missing something? (shrug)

Your not really missing anything. I submit through my LCS because they only charge me what they're being charged by CGC, well probably while the LCS gets the 10% discount and I pay full price, but I trust their shipping and packaging ability. I've got 9.8's back from just picking them off there wall and paying for grading. Buying a reader copy is fun too! :banana:

The $39 membership doesn't give you "credit" but gives "free" grader's notes, making them not exactly "free". The $149 sounds good, you get the credit, just need the books to send etc. PLUS you only get free grader's notes for "your" submitted books.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

47 minutes ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

The reason dealers submit books for people is to make money. Don't think you'll find one giving there account info out for nothing. 

Do I understand this correctly, the OP doesn't want to pay for a membership but wants to use a dealer's account to get a discount while submitting on his own ? ???  While he's at it, ask the dealer for his Fedex account number so he doesn't have to pay for shipping either. Maybe the dealer will also give him a CC number to pay CGC. What the heck, go for it all, submit completely for free !!!

30 minutes ago, justafan said:

If you aren't submitting a whack of books why is paying $40 worth it?  That 10% off takes a while to make up the cost.

Are you submitting more than a few books at a time?  Don't forget shipping to CGC and shipping back from CGC.  Shipping only a couple of bucks and you'll pay more than if you sub through a LCS.

Are you a competent packer, know how to do the paperwork and ensure nothing goes wrong on route?  If not paying a couple of bucks for someone to do it for you sounds like a good win to me.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Do I understand this correctly, the OP doesn't want to pay for a membership but wants to use a dealer's account to get a discount while submitting on his own ? ???  While he's at it, ask the dealer for his Fedex account number so he doesn't have to pay for shipping either. Maybe the dealer will also give him a CC number to pay CGC. What the heck, go for it all, submit completely for free !!!

That's really generous of you Bob.

4 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Got any Lady Mechanika for sale?

Brains, what happened in that thread ? I saw your post and a little while later everything was gone. Did I miss some more exchanges ? 

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Brains, what happened in that thread ? I saw your post and a little while later everything was gone. Did I miss some more exchanges ? 

I think he just went and read the posting rules and created a new one with more detailed info.  Some folks are just WAY over just sensitive.  Talk about being thin skinned...