• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book with only one staple (Only one was punched)

20 posts in this topic

So what's the grading procedure for a book that originally has only one staple punched. There are no holes where the top staple is suppose to be. Are we looking at a qualified grade?

You guys are not prepping enough for the final...........

pcav16.jpg

And if you remember, it was resubbed, came back as a 9.6, and the notation about the staple was dropped from the label.

I think only in ubber HG.

The resub got a 9.6. It still had a staple missing. No mention on the label, and no mention on the notes when you looked up the CGC number.

Sorry about that, by ubber HG, I was reffering to books grading at 9.8 of better, although 9.6 aint nothing to sneeze at.

Well, as far as this book goes, it is the uber grade. There isn't anything higher. (I checked the cen....uh, never mind.) Might be the best copy of the book graded, since it has white pages and is a pedigree.

Here's the resub. Still with one staple, but you'd never know it.

av169.6.jpg

BTW...I'm not saying that the book couldn't have been a potential 9.8 when it was...uh, regraded.....and that the staple dropped it to 9.6.

This might not be the best book to discuss regarding the staple issue, since this book raised a number of questions that only CGC could address. But it's an interesting case, to say the least.

For those who don't want to read the whole thing, Borock said that a book manufactured before 1980 with one staple can get up to a 9.6 Blue Label grade. This is more or less consistent with what the Overstreet Grading Guide says about missing one staple.

Finally, here's a link to an interesting discussion of staples (man, I gotta' get out more!).

The disappearing staple thread.....