• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Brave & The Bold #28
1 1

53 posts in this topic

The scans look great. Are the pages really as dark as they look in the scans though? It seems odd that the cover has no age toning at all to the inside covers. Married cover a possibility?

(Edit: just looked at the original photos again; not as much of a difference so it's probably the scans. Never mind then.)  :p

Edited by Point Five

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:20 PM, zipbags said:

I will try to scan the book tonight to give a better view.  Not worried about getting my money back...paid under $100 back then.  Looking to clear out the last of some of my silver age books and take the family away for vacation.  

Again, thanks for all the insight.

Looks like a different book (I know it's not).

BB28.jpg

7 hours ago, Point Five said:

The scans look great. Are the pages really as dark as they look in the scans though? It seems odd that the cover has no age toning at all to the inside covers. Married cover a possibility?

(Edit: just looked at the original photos again; not as much of a difference so it's probably the scans. Never mind then.)  :p

That is odd. Pages are tan and yet none of that toning was imparted, directly impacting the cover colors! Typically, as pages darken, they off-gas impurities to the covers that "green" the cover sky blues! That is, the yellowing of the background, combining with the blues to produce a greenish tint to the sky!

9 hours ago, Point Five said:

I was thinking the same thing as Point 5. Cover don't seem to match the book. Married or recreation? Top edge looks trimmed to me also. My2c

20 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

grade is :flipbait:

Yes. Even with the amateur resto, which can be drastically improved upon by a professional. As previously stated, this could get up to 8.5 (r) and now after seeing the clearer image, maybe even a bit more with the right adjustments from the right masseuse, without resorting to those horrible paint over jobs you sometimes see on extensively restored books.  

1 hour ago, DR.X said:

I was thinking the same thing as Point 5. Cover don't seem to match the book. Married or recreation? Top edge looks trimmed to me also. My2c

Yeah, I’m just not sure. I feel like I have seen books where the cover stock and the pages toned at different rates, so ‘married’ isn’t necessarily a sure thing. On the other hand, we know the cover has work done to it for sure with the color touch, so additional resto issues seem like less of a stretch? It does look a bit wonky for sure.

3 minutes ago, kimik said:

Good luck. Are you getting it pressed before grading? If not, they will nail it for the small bends/creases/indents on the front and back covers. 

Thanks..I hadn't thought about it.  It seems pretty flat.  Not too familiar with pressing.  Would it be worth it seeing what you can on my book?  I just noticed that since it's a walkthrough grading it's free if it needs it...If it doesn't..it's $50.  Will have to contact them.

Edited by zipbags

I'm thinking a restored label 7.0 (C-1 or C-2).  The bleed-through and use of marker will likely give it a C designation but the CT may be considered moderate (Instead of slight -> 1) since it's used in numerous places so may get a 2.  I don't think its been trimmed or married.  The creases at the staples look organic.

Edited by comicquant

28 minutes ago, spidermanbeyond said:

7.0 is good guess as well. CGC is usually nicer on older books. I was going back and forth between 6.5 and 7.0, just like the grading contests.

I was bouncing back and forth between 6.5/7.0 but looking at the spine without any CT etc and it felt like a 7.0.  

On 2/5/2018 at 11:20 PM, comicquant said:

I'm thinking a restored label 7.0 (C-1 or C-2).  The bleed-through and use of marker will likely give it a C designation but the CT may be considered moderate (Instead of slight -> 1) since it's used in numerous places so may get a 2.  I don't think its been trimmed or married.  The creases at the staples look organic.

I am curious if you could explain how restored grades mean?  (ie C or CT).

Thanks!