• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing subscription insert.

2 posts in this topic

I just acquired a collection of the first 20 heavy metal magazines from the original owner.  They are all high grade and several still have the brown paper wrap outside of the cover.  The OO ripped the subscription card out of the first issue.  This did not damage the book but the card is obviously half gone.  How does this effect the grade of the book?  Also, should I remove the brown paper from the mags that it's still on or just leave it?

The brown paper wrappers do not matter. CGC will remove them if sent to them still on. 

The Subscription card is an unknown.   I will make the assumption all copies must have been printed with a subscription card, because the logical copies  to leave out a subscription insert would be a subscription issue.  My best, educated guess would come from looking at comic books where all copies had a card or insert of some type.  The Marvel comics books that had a Tattooz sticker first comes to mind. When the Tattooz sticker is missing, CGC gives it a green, Qualified label. The book receives the same numeric grade it would if the Tattooz sticker was present, but labels it as a "Qualified" grade and notes the Tattooz sticker is missing. 

So most likely the missing subscription card will have no affect on the grade - but will get a green, qualified label.