• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Label CGC early Spidermans worth a Press?

8 posts in this topic

I think #4 has the least chance. Look at the bottom right corner, besides a big crease, the whole corner has a loss of color. Trust me, CGC will hammer that color loss. I also think I see a tear on the top edge, upper right corner crease, etc. Not much a press will help with here.

Unless you have issues on the back covers that a press will correct, these look like they are as good as they can get. Might even go down with CGC grading they way they have been of late.

Edited by joeypost

Issue 4 is a no and issue 2 is unlikely. But I think issue 6 has potential to improve.  We really need back cover scans as well as front. 

The pressing appeal of old label books is not that CGC was stricter grade wise.  They are as Joeypost noted strict now.  The appeal is that pressing was very, very uncommon when CGC opened in 2000 and for several years following.  So old label books are unlikely to have been previously pressed.  

Issue 6 might have a shot, but you need to see the price difference between a 3.5 and 4.0 to see if it is worth the additional cost. While not detailed enough, graders notes would be helpful on this book.

Edited by joeypost