• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #238 (first Hobgoblin) and Hulk #181

4 posts in this topic

I recently bought three copies of Amazing Spider-man #238. Two of them are graded at 9.6, one with "white pages", and one with "off-white to white" pages, as well as a raw near mint copy. All of the books also have their tattooz's intact. In regards to the two graded copies, does the fact that one copy has "white pages" while the other has "off-white to white" pages make the two books not worth the same in regards to value? Would the book with "white pages" be worth more than the book with "off-white to white pages" or would they both be worth the same? Also, what do you think the future looks like for these books in regards to being good or bad investments? This is my first post here so I may be asking alot of questions about comic books in the near future. I was a pretty serious collector when I was a kid, but I made a really stupid mistake about 6 years ago when I sold my entire collection. I have recently begun buying back all my cherished comic books including some really hard to find books that I was never able to afford when I was younger. I am quite excited to get back into collecting. I also have one more question before I end this. I recently also bought a Hulk #181 off of eBay for about $1,400.00. The book was described as being a 9.2, but when I recieved it, I figured it could be an easy 9.4 if not a 9.6 when I compared it to scans of graded copies of the same book. Does anyone know if this book is going to appreciate in value at all? I bought the book because I always wanted a high grade copy of Hulk #181 when I was a kid, but working at McDonalds did not quite pay enough for that. Anyways, it may seem as though I am collecting for investment purposes, but I'm not. I'm collecting for sentimental reasons, but if the book goes up in value, that is always a plus. Some other cool books I have recently bought is Iron Fist #14 NM, Amazing Spider-man #300 (CGC 9.6 white pages), Hulk #180 NM and #182 NM, Tomb of Dracula #10 NM, Amazing Spider-man #129 (a little less than NM), Spider-man Giant size #4 MINT, and many, many others. Are these all good books to have? Thanks.

Welcome to the boards. Just to comment about the ASM books, white pages will always command more attention than those books without, at least it does for me. A year ago you could buy a 9.6 for $150 and you still can today but I'm sure if you look at recent GPA sales you will see this amount trending higher. I believe a 9.8 on Heritage just sold for $850 which seems higher than what it would have gone for last year. Bottom line is if your looking for a quick flip anything could happen but to me this is a great book to hold on to for the long-term simply because it is one of the coolest cover pieces of the last 25 years and Spidey books are always in demand. I just sold a 9.6 copy but kept my white page copy for my long term collection.

I recently bought three copies of Amazing Spider-man #238. Two of them are graded at 9.6, one with "white pages",

. I was a pretty serious collector when I was a kid, but I made a really stupid mistake about 6 years ago when I sold my entire collection. I have recently begun buying back all my cherished comic books including some really hard to find books that I was never able to afford when I was younger. I am quite excited to get back into collecting. I also have one more question before I end this. I recently also bought a Hulk #181 off of eBay for about $1,400.00.

I have recently bought is Iron Fist #14 NM, Amazing Spider-man #300 (CGC 9.6 white pages), Hulk #180 NM and #182 NM, Tomb of Dracula #10 NM, Amazing Spider-man #129 (a little less than NM), Spider-man Giant size #4 MINT, and many, many others. Are these all good books to have? Thanks.

Sounds like you are having a really good time!

Welcome to the boards.

Marc

I recently bought three copies of Amazing Spider-man #238. Two of them are graded at 9.6, one with "white pages",

. I was a pretty serious collector when I was a kid, but I made a really stupid mistake about 6 years ago when I sold my entire collection. I have recently begun buying back all my cherished comic books including some really hard to find books that I was never able to afford when I was younger. I am quite excited to get back into collecting. I also have one more question before I end this. I recently also bought a Hulk #181 off of eBay for about $1,400.00.

I have recently bought is Iron Fist #14 NM, Amazing Spider-man #300 (CGC 9.6 white pages), Hulk #180 NM and #182 NM, Tomb of Dracula #10 NM, Amazing Spider-man #129 (a little less than NM), Spider-man Giant size #4 MINT, and many, many others. Are these all good books to have? Thanks.

Sounds like you are having a really good time!

Welcome to the boards.

Marc

I'm trying to have a good time, but certain eBay sellers are making that awfully difficult.