• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a re-glossed cover be "un-glossed" ?

7 posts in this topic

Re-glossing involves spraying the covers with an acrylic polymer. Technically the acrylic polymer could be removed by treatment with chemical solvents. The type of solvents needed would depend on the amount and type of acrylic used. However after treatment, the paper covers would not return to the same physical state before re-glossing.

Just now, jpepx78 said:

Re-glossing involves spraying the covers with an acrylic polymer. Technically the acrylic polymer could be removed by treatment with chemical solvents. The type of solvents needed would depend on the amount and type of acrylic used. However after treatment, the paper covers would not return to the same physical state before re-glossing.

We posted at just the same time.  I think Peter's question was aimed at whether the book could end up in a blue label slab after being un-reglossed.

I don't believe that would be possible, would it?

Thanks guys.

There's a Tec 32 7.5 on ebay with cover cleaned and re-glossed as only resto to it. I wouldn't mind the clean to cover (purple or conserved) but re-gloss bothers me a bit.

So I'll pass.

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Thanks guys.

There's a Tec 32 7.5 on ebay with cover cleaned and re-glossed as only resto to it. I wouldn't mind the clean to cover (purple or conserved) but re-gloss bothers me a bit.

So I'll pass.

You show fine judgement! I have been saying all the years I have been here that "re-glossing" is plain wrong. The glossy cover comes from the clay used in making paper and the calendaring (passing through successively tight rollers) to create a "hard" glossy surface. Comics were never "glossed" in the first place., so there is nothing to "re-gloss". The gloss is an inherent part of the paper itself and not something that can be added back with a spray.

On 8/5/2017 at 0:08 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Thanks guys.

So I'll pass.

I agree with avoiding reglossing.  I'd never knowingly buy a book that had that done to it.