• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked case. What is fair compensation ?

29 posts in this topic

Is $15 way cheap - yes.  It will cost them 3x that amount if you ship it on their dime and they pay to have it reholded and then ship it back to you but maybe they offer low money to prevent someone from scamming them with false claims of cracked slabs all the time (not you obviously).  If you plan on cracking it out them take the $15 in free money and move on but if you like it in the slab send it back in and get a fresh slab for free.

Send it back to them and have them reholder it and then return to you. Reholdering  actually ends up costing more - maybe  a LOT more - than $15.  CGC's cheapest shipping is UPS/FedEx. One book is $13 - but with only 100 insurance coverage.  And there is the $5 invoice fee.  So if your book is worth say $500 and you want it insured for such, you'd be paying $15 + $5 + $32. Fifty two dollars.

The auction house probably has a couple of  reasons for resisting a higher credit directly to the seller. 1Cool mentions one reason (false claims of damage).  Then the auction houses costs of reholdering are  probably a lot closer to $15.  They probably send in multiple books at a time for reholdering, which means that the $5 invoice fee gets spread out across more books.  And they without a doubt have their own private shipping insurance and have books returned to them from CGC under their own shipping account. 5-10  reholders coming back in one box under their own self insured FedEx shipping account might be costing them $2.50  - $5 a book for the shipping and invoice fees.  So their total cost for reholdering could easily being coming in under $20 - versus your real cost of $33 - $52. 

5 hours ago, bababooey said:

Your wedge issue and subsequent damage was for you to sort out with CGC the slabbing company prior to taking it out of the slab.  

If it's not a CGC case issue then you shouldn't be posting about it here at all.....

I realize your path to post-sale compensation is through the dealer & perhaps gaining some consensus here might help you with yet another post sale renegotiation but IMHO a re-sub paid for by the dealer to appease you is at your risk, the new 'crinkling' note is something you have to live with....the edge wedge and subsequent damage is something you should have sent back for fixing to the proper party.  

I did not come here to talk about my past reholder experience. I made reference to being hesitant about sending books in to be reholdered and was asked to elaborate. From your comments, I am sorry I said anything.  Not really sure why you felt the need to make me feel like I did something wrong, like it's all my bad. Buying a book with sustained damage is not fun. I hope you never have a bad experience. 

11 hours ago, kav said:

It's just me but for $15-$20 I just swallow it and move on.  It makes me feel good about myself.

I recognized, and made comment, that I was sweating the small stuff here. Normally, I concur with your statement. But sometimes it is the attitude of the other party(in this case the auction house) that makes you take a 'stand'. 

3 hours ago, newshane said:

Well, that was the issue. If you cracked it out, of course they are going to re-grade it. Anytime you crack out a book, there are absolutely no promises that it will retain grade...just like when I crack slabs for signatures.

Had you left it in the cracked slab, I bet my next paycheck it would have retained its original grade. I've sent many slabs for reholdering...I never take them out of the slabs...and I've never had any problems.

Lesson for everyone? NEVER take it out of the slab when you send in for reholder service. (tsk)

No, you misread my comments. I did not take it out of the slab, I sent it back in the slab. They regraded it and the new encapsulation was worse than the first, at which point I gave up and simply removed it from the slab. Sorry but this is the last time I answer a care to elaborate comment. It's not what I wanted to bring up or discuss. I agree with your comments, if you are sending back a book, leave it in the slab. Absolutely the correct advice.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Is $15 way cheap - yes.  It will cost them 3x that amount if you ship it on their dime and they pay to have it reholded and then ship it back to you but maybe they offer low money to prevent someone from scamming them with false claims of cracked slabs all the time (not you obviously).  If you plan on cracking it out them take the $15 in free money and move on but if you like it in the slab send it back in and get a fresh slab for free.

I think you are spot on with the low offer is to prevent scamming. They even mentioned this. However, I think the 6 week reholder turnaround is to get you to take the low offer instead. Good advice, appreciate it.  

16 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I recognized, and made comment, that I was sweating the small stuff here. Normally, I concur with your statement. But sometimes it is the attitude of the other party(in this case the auction house) that makes you take a 'stand'. 

good point.

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

Send it back to them and have them reholder it and then return to you. Reholdering  actually ends up costing more - maybe  a LOT more - than $15.  CGC's cheapest shipping is UPS/FedEx. One book is $13 - but with only 100 insurance coverage.  And there is the $5 invoice fee.  So if your book is worth say $500 and you want it insured for such, you'd be paying $15 + $5 + $32. Fifty two dollars.

The auction house probably has a couple of  reasons for resisting a higher credit directly to the seller. 1Cool mentions one reason (false claims of damage).  Then the auction houses costs of reholdering are  probably a lot closer to $15.  They probably send in multiple books at a time for reholdering, which means that the $5 invoice fee gets spread out across more books.  And they without a doubt have their own private shipping insurance and have books returned to them from CGC under their own shipping account. 5-10  reholders coming back in one box under their own self insured FedEx shipping account might be costing them $2.50  - $5 a book for the shipping and invoice fees.  So their total cost for reholdering could easily being coming in under $20 - versus your real cost of $33 - $52. 

I think you are also spot on with your statements. The 6 week estimate probably comes from the fact that the auction house combines shipping. My book will not be shipped alone. 

On 8/5/2017 at 11:38 AM, Tony S said:

$52, minus the $15 credit.  So Bomber-Bob would be out $37, without a 6 week wait

Edited by SteppinRazor