• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do fingerprints continue to break down color over time?

5 posts in this topic

Got a copy of ASM 300 for my personal collection, and in my excitement put a small fingerprint on the top of his head.  I quickly wiped it with a cotton cloth (aka my t-shirt) and it got most of it but some is still there (and isn't going away).  It doesn't break color or anything so I am fine with it as is.

My questions is:  Is the fingerprint as bad as it is going to get (was a couple days ago that I did it) or is it going to eventually just eat through Spider-Man's head like the acid blood from Aliens?  

5 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

It'll be fine, but fingerprints do effect grading depending on how bad they are.  

Thanks.  I knew it wasn't a super high grade when I bought it so no worries there, just wanted one that displays nicely.  I just wanted to make sure it didn't continue to eat through ink until it had lifted all the color, but I figure if that was the case then all comics everywhere would have white fingerprints all over them...

39 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Thanks.  I knew it wasn't a super high grade when I bought it so no worries there, just wanted one that displays nicely.  I just wanted to make sure it didn't continue to eat through ink until it had lifted all the color, but I figure if that was the case then all comics everywhere would have white fingerprints all over them...

It could get worse depending on what was on your fingers at the time. Oils can easily be wiped off if done immediately after, but sweat or other foreign substances can continue to affect the inks, especially black ink. In your case it sounds like you took care of it in time, but a picture would be helpful.

7 minutes ago, joeypost said:

It could get worse depending on what was on your fingers at the time. Oils can easily be wiped off if done immediately after, but sweat or other foreign substances can continue to affect the inks, especially black ink. In your case it sounds like you took care of it in time, but a picture would be helpful.

I can't seem to get it to show up in pictures (it is really faint, I am probably the only person that can see it).  My hands were sweaty which is why I noticed the print right away but wiped it immediately.  Hopefully it is as bad as it is going to get :/