• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sales Tax on Comic Sale

44 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2017 at 7:51 PM, joeypost said:

So most expect that they will not be charged tax in State?

If I was a collector I  would always assume to pay sales tax if a purchase is made in my home state.  But because I'm a dealer I have a resale number and don't have to pay sales tax on comic purchases.

On 8/8/2017 at 0:05 PM, woowoo said:

So let's see if I got this ? I pay  tax when I buy the book. I pay Tax when I sell the book. I don't get money back for gas getting the book or money back when use gas and time sending the book. I need a drink and its 9am:whatthe:

Your gas costs are part of your "costs" and should be deductable.  So, if you paid $5 (after tax) for the book and sell it for $10, but the buying and selling also consumed $3 of gas, then your profit is "only" $2.  And then you can deduct any paypal or ebay fees and anything else you can come up with.  Of course, documenting those gas costs is going to be tricky.

On 8/9/2017 at 5:08 PM, lizards2 said:

There is some truth to that.  I suppose in some trickle-down way, some of that money goes to fund the state government and infrastructure.  I'm struggling with how it goes beyond basically a retail sales tax subsidy, as most of those jobs aren't really high wages.  Maybe great for business owners, but I'm not sure about the low wage workers.  Bah - now I'm starting to sound like a communist.

Maybe they aren't high wage jobs in retail and recreation, but they are jobs and those people might be out of work and on welfare otherwise.  And don't business owners pay taxes? (and those business either indirectly or directly pay real estate taxes, no?) I don't really have an opinion on sales tax...I'm in NYC and yes, we have a lot of people coming here and I want the revenue, though it irritates me to pay it!  On the other hand, it's good to know that every $100 meal bought by tourists and other out of towners is at least is kicking $8.875 or whatever into the local and state coffers.

On 8/9/2017 at 4:08 PM, lizards2 said:

There is some truth to that.  I suppose in some trickle-down way, some of that money goes to fund the state government and infrastructure.  I'm struggling with how it goes beyond basically a retail sales tax subsidy, as most of those jobs aren't really high wages.  Maybe great for business owners, but I'm not sure about the low wage workers.  Bah - now I'm starting to sound like a communist.

It's good for low wage workers to not have to pay sales tax, as it is a regressive tax.  They spend almost or all of their income (since they have little) on existing, so sales taxes disproportionately hit those with low income.  I wouldn't consider out of state shoppers a loss for the state, as they influxing cash, and even though the get to use some services for free, they probably pay something when they buy gas.  Their spending money earned in their state into your state is a benefit.

A VAT would be a progressive version of a sales tax (ie the more luxury an item is, the higher the tax collected on it, and the necessity items would have 0).

The solution I would think to the ne'er do wells is regulation of social benefits based on residency.

Edited by SteppinRazor