• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sales Tax on Comic Sale

44 posts in this topic

When buying a comic on EBay (from a seller in your state) how many of you would argue about the sales tax after a best offer has been made and accepted?

Edited by joeypost

13 minutes ago, joeypost said:

When buying a comic on EBay (from a seller in your state) how many of you would argue about the sales tax after a best offer has been made and accepted?

lol

Weird though I've bought a comic in the same state and they didn't charge tax ???

BUT

Today I bought a laptop online from fort worth and I'm in dallas one city over and they DID charge me sales tax. And that was today! Odd ??? I was wondering what was up....

28 minutes ago, joeypost said:

In New York State new comics are tax exempt, back issues are taxed if sold above the original retail price... so was the Best Offer above or below the original offer?

but I see what your saying with the "best offer" option, ya that kind of sucks....

I've had things I've bought from Canada that I thought was a fair price only to have the currency charges along with it that made the purchase not such a great deal.

especially that there is no warning about sales tax within the same state..... I did buy it now today only to be surprised with the sales tax.... I went ahead and purchased..... they would probably argue the time to quibble about the sales tax is before you actually pay...then ebay would let you back out of the transaction..... I think since there was no disclosure before hand that then you'd have a leg to stand on...but.... I don't think that they would refund or pay or forgive after already paying because ebay would be liable for it I assume :) 

I've seen some sellers explicitly state that sales tax will be included for XX (insert state abbreviation here) buyers.  I bought a book from an in state seller and did not have to pay sales tax so I guess it just depends on the seller.  I'm sure some sellers opt to just eat the cost on smaller books because i'm sure buyers don't read all the fine print and they'd rather not get neutral/negative feedback because some buyer is upset they didn't see the tax part mentioned.

Tax is usually expected in a same state transaction.  If you have a tax id #, you will be exempt.  NY state is only tax exempt on current periodicals, as soon as they become back issues  tax is  owed to the state.  Any price over the cover price is what is taxed.

7 minutes ago, joeypost said:

hm would be best if it were in my description then.

Not only does it somewhat depend on buyer/seller, it also depends on item, which buyer/seller might not have all knowledge of. Best to put it in the description to cover arses lol

EBay should have disclaimers and probably does in the fine print ha.

23 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not only does it somewhat depend on buyer/seller, it also depends on item, which buyer/seller might not have all knowledge of. Best to put it in the description to cover arses lol

EBay should have disclaimers and probably does in the fine print ha.

I always thought I was required to as a corporation in the State of FLA. I may need to dig deeper as I know I am not taxed on services (the State did try once in the past) but thought goods were mandatory.

38 minutes ago, paul747 said:

Tax is usually expected in a same state transaction.  If you have a tax id #, you will be exempt.  NY state is only tax exempt on current periodicals, as soon as they become back issues  tax is  owed to the state.  Any price over the cover price is what is taxed.

I've seen shops that charge sales tax on discounted back issues, so I'm not sure just what the law actually says.

When I do small shows in Nevada, I pay sales tax on my total sales.  To start figuring out what part of a $3 sale of a comic that was $1.25 new is subject to sales tax  would be a book keeping nightmare. Some shops here say TPBs aren't periodicals, others say they are. 

3 hours ago, joeypost said:

I would.  But just 'cause I'm a peckerwood, as there is no sales tax in the land of beaver.

Edited by lizards2

Anybody selling comics with a business license should follow the rules of their state.  TX requires sales tax to be collected.  If they are a private seller, they should technically report it, as should someone selling their old couch on craigslist.  I think we can guess how often sales taxes are collected on carp sold on craigslist.

It doesn't matter.  Sales tax is probably not something that they can get around.  Amazon automatically charges it in my state now, because y'know, states are so hard up for money they have to steal it from their online shoppers.  

8 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

Anybody selling comics with a business license should follow the rules of their state.  TX requires sales tax to be collected.  If they are a private seller, they should technically report it, as should someone selling their old couch on craigslist.  I think we can guess how often sales taxes are collected on carp sold on craigslist.

This sounds correct.  Many sales are by individuals who will not collect or pay tax. If you are a business, then you would be absolutely required to collect tax if it is in your own state. 

10 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

I always thought that it had to be over a certain amount for Craigslist and eBay listings to have to pay taxes on it... But maybe I'm thinking of income tax or something... Instead of sales tax which may be different lol