• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever taken on investors shark tank style?

24 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comicalgems said:

Excellent questions.  Amount looking to raise would not exceed 20% of the valuation.  Preferably no more than two partners.  The investors can be involved in any major purchases, but no brainer purchases such as a key issue for pennies on the dollar will be left to the majority shareholder.  "I had to pass on a long box of ASM 300 that I found in a warehouse because I couldn't get investor approval for the $200 expense" would not be a scenario that would be encountered.  "I couldn't purchase that deal in Omaha because the investors didn't want to spend 75% of our cash on one deal" would be something I would expect by taking on partners.  

I would say that ideally purchases and expenditures would need to remain conservative.  However, ultimately this would need to be hashed out prior to partnering if there's a specific threshold a partner wants to stay under.

What is the value of the business now? Sales figures for the past year? Minimum investment amount?

I don't think it's a ridiculous thing to consider at all, but I would tailor it to high ticket high yield books.

Let's say a group of investors got together in 2001 and bought an Amazing Fantasy 15 for the going price then of $35K -- flash forward to today and they've made a substantial profit over the initial input, far advanced what something like a mutual fund would return in the same number of years.

So you get a bunch of doctors together and instead of investing their money and creating SUBWAY you do something good for humanity and buy golden age pre code Robin DETECTIVE COMICS. 

I know they certainly smell better.

While I have never done this, I know someone that has. They opened a comic store, and took on an investor to assist in the purchasing of inventory ( comic collections ) that will be sold at the store and through online channels.

Seemed to work fine at first, but now that the investor is owed a significant amount of money the investor is constantly in the store and making strong suggestions as to what merchandise is to be displayed on the walls of the store. The investor has several of their own books on the wall to sell now, and the owner of the store is rather unhappy about feeling in the position to have to display those books simply because they owe money to the investor.

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

While I have never done this, I know someone that has. They opened a comic store, and took on an investor to assist in the purchasing of inventory ( comic collections ) that will be sold at the store and through online channels.

Seemed to work fine at first, but now that the investor is owed a significant amount of money the investor is constantly in the store and making strong suggestions as to what merchandise is to be displayed on the walls of the store. The investor has several of their own books on the wall to sell now, and the owner of the store is rather unhappy about feeling in the position to have to display those books simply because they owe money to the investor.

Anyone else feel like this investor's advice might also include something like "Kids have a lot of money these days, so after you finish your performance you might consider robbing 'em."?