• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Episode Of: "I HAVE OLD COMICS! THEREFORE I AM RICH!"
1 1

45 posts in this topic

The casual collector cashing out is one thing, but how is overcharging someone (in a time when new, casual collectors are cropping up and overpaying for these collections) worse than the apocryphal story of someone paying an old widow $20 for an AF15? 

I'm being rhetorical; neither scenario is cool. 

"Perfect condition", lol.  Must be the "wrapped in plastic" that makes it that way. :roflmao:

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what's more disturbing -- that someone is that misinformed about the value of what they own, or that they know full well what they own and are looking for the needle sucker in the haystack.  "Some of the books are worth $1000 each!"  1000 Chilean Pesos, maybe.  :p

3 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

The casual collector cashing out is one thing, but how is overcharging someone (in a time when new, casual collectors are cropping up and overpaying for these collections) worse than the apocryphal story of someone paying an old widow $20 for an AF15? 

An interesting question. When I see a C List post like this I think to myself, anyone willing to pay 15 grand for comics is going to know a thing or three about comics. And if by chance they don't and still give this guy what they wants...we'll money obviously is no object to them. Are there new collectors that could be duped in this way? I just don't believe it. Not in the 5 digit realm. 

The AF15 for $20 from a old lady...yikes what a dilemma. Sometimes it's not even worth pondering because it's so rare and to think even an old lady who finds an old Spider-Man comic wouldn't have anyone she trusts to ask about it seemed far fetched to me in this day and age. 

1 minute ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

An interesting question. When I see a C List post like this I think to myself, anyone willing to pay 15 grand for comics is going to know a thing or three about comics. And if by chance they don't and still give this guy what they wants...we'll money obviously is no object to them. Are there new collectors that could be duped in this way? I just don't believe it. Not in the 5 digit realm. 

The AF15 for $20 from a old lady...yikes what a dilemma. Sometimes it's not even worth pondering because it's so rare and to think even an old lady who finds an old Spider-Man comic wouldn't have anyone she trusts to ask about it seemed far fetched to me in this day and age. 

Agreed -- in the case of the Tampa listing, I am assuming his $15k # is a ploy to set the bar high. I would think he wants someone to pay far less than that but still far more than the pile is worth. I don't necessarily think he's looking for a dupe with $15K; I think the high ask is part of the set-up.

As to the latter -- more than you think. There's an antique shop in Saratoga NY that, according to locals, paid an elderly couple $5000 for their AF15 and ASM 1-50. Yes the antiques shop graded them all but the eBay auction was heartbreaking to watch. The 15 was maybe a 2 or 3 but of course went for more than double the purchase price; the entire run was in the 8.0 range, give or take. You can approximate the retail math.

Closer still, to the urban legend -- a guy in my area is given three comics by his old lady next door neighbor. She found them around the house, and he had little girls. Thought the kids might like them. Two bugs bunnies and an ASM 1. He didn't bother to tell her what she had given him, but he did take it to the LCS looking for the free appraisal, which is how I heard the tale. So the like does happen.

:cloud9:The Fantasy Four :cloud9:

Fantasy Four:
#53 When The Mighty Fall (1974)
#56 When Calls Galactus (1975)
#57 Worlds Within Worlds (1975)
#59 Shall Earth Endure (1975)
#60 The Thing No More (1975)
#151 Thunder and Lightning (1974)
#154 Man in the Mystery Mask (1975)
#158 Invasion from the 5th Dimension (1975)
#169 5 In Search of a Madman (1976)
#170 A Sky Full of Fear (1976)
#174 Star Quest (1976)
#196 Who is the Invincible Man (1978)

21 hours ago, ChiSoxFan said:

"Perfect condition", lol.  Must be the "wrapped in plastic" that makes it that way. :roflmao:

When you ask a layperson what the condition of a comic is, the most common response I've heard is "it's in plastic."  I think many people believe that new comics come already bagged and boarded, and if it's got those, it's automatically mint in package like an action figure.

I see $50 here.

lol he posted marvel's greatest comics as one of his top books!

Edited by kav

23 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Hey, thanks for using the word "apocryphal" in a sentence! I was reading a biography on the TeeVee evangelist Jimmy Swaggart and I came across that word. Didn't know what it meant and looked it up and now I know what it means and you used it in a sentence and I knew what you meant!