• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Episode Of: "I HAVE OLD COMICS! THEREFORE I AM RICH!"
1 1

45 posts in this topic

Back in the pre-internet days, most cities had weekly classified papers where you could buy and sell used junk, but without pictures, and descriptions were limited due to a line limit in the ads.

I wasn't always searching for old comics, but would check out the listings when I picked up an issue. As with Craigslist, it was mostly junk. I did respond to one ad though that listed hundreds of comics from the 40s to the 70s. As I recall the seller wanted $150 for maybe 300 books. This was in the early 90s, so 70s comics were still pretty cheap, even in high grade. It was the the possibility of older stuff that intrigued me. It turned out, the "1940s" comics were a few late 60s printings of Classics Illustrated with 1940s copyright dates listed in the indica, the 1960s books consisted of a couple dozen beat up Harvey and Dell books, and the bulk of the collection consisted of random Bronze Age books in low to mid-grade, that looked suspiciously like they had been cherry picked for anything of even remote value. The kind of stuff that sat in dealer quarter boxes forever back then.  The seller was very disappointed that I wasn't even interested in making a low-ball offer. 

On August 31, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Mercury Man said:

Well here's a doozie!   It was stored in a bank deposit box after all, and it is in 'awesome shape' considering its age.  (I wouldn't give him $15 for it let alone $1500)!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-America-101-May-1968-Marvel-/132304930789?epid=85455831&hash=item1ecdfd07e5:g:h6IAAOSwRJ1ZndiN

Just got an alert that this one has gone from 3 grand to $200.  Another $195 off and I might pity buy...

16 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Just got an alert that this one has gone from 3 grand to $200.  Another $195 off and I might pity buy...

reality is slowly sinking in to the guy...slowly....