• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JIM 95 - glue on spine? how to remove

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, I recently purchased this comic and noticed that some areas along the spine appear to have more gloss than the cover. It seems to me like someone used some sort of liquid adhesive on areas along the spine. I have included some pictures. Has anyone had something like this sent for restoration removal? Can it be removed in any manner that limits the damage to the book, or is this comic a goner? 

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

Edited by Leafsno1

33 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If you just recently purchased it, ask for your money back. I wouldn't mess with it.

Yah, I will ask to return it. I'm just interested in seeing if people had experience with something like this and if anyone has gone through with restoration removal on it and what the outcome was.

When professional restorers use glue, it can be safely removed. It's typically a wheat or cellulose or both type of glue. Such glues are both archival and easily removed. 

The fact you can see this so easily is proof by itself that it isn't professional. Something like Elmers glue isn't coming off without damaging the paper. 

On 8/20/2017 at 10:06 AM, Leafsno1 said:

Yah, I will ask to return it. I'm just interested in seeing if people had experience with something like this and if anyone has gone through with restoration removal on it and what the outcome was.

From experience, that is not going to come off without great casualty to the book. Return, and learn.