• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage boardie photo

40 posts in this topic

I purchased a stack of  The Buyers Guide for Comic Fandoms a while back and finally got around to looking through #145 yesterday.  It's  from 1976 and is the San Diego Comic Con report issue.  It has 7 FULL pages of photos and a couple more of text interviews and info all about the show.  Pretty cool .  So, in the middle of the photos of  comic guests, artists and writers like Steranko, Sergio Aragones, Mel Blanc etc. ,  I found a photo of a current boardie holding up a  golden age book.  It made me smile.  I figure GOLD is the best place to post it. 

Here's a sample of a few of the photos with our boardies shot at the bottom.  Can you tell what book it is ?  I'm pretty sure I know 

145%20the%20bg_zpsntxfgd5y.jpg

TBG%20145%20c_zpssc5qbmie.jpg

TBG%20145%20a_zpspmjjzap1.jpg

TBG%20145%20e_zpsztoemv3v.jpg

TBG%20145%20h_zpsd35cmfe9.jpg

TBG%20145%20i_zps2gko3s7r.jpg

TBG%20145%20f_zpsa6vcqc6j.jpg

TBG%20145%20g_zpsd3jvokjg.jpg

TBG%20145%20l_zpsfgpiljey.jpg

and this one......    :smile:

TBG%20145%20m_zpsjtdsldpx.jpg

15 hours ago, tth2 said:

Sounds like listening to my grandfather ranting about how a hair cut used to cost just 5 cents, and craftsmanship was much better, back in the old days. 

Yes.... I agree.  In a way,  I don't think it was BETTER back then, just different, new. It was the early days of comic conventions and they were really special.  I'll never forget my first SDCC in 1977 at El Cortez.  Something that has never been repeated, and how can it?  But people today make friends, have relationships, form brotherhoods.  Just look at the thread by adamstrange below.  Yea, it may be a bit exclusive..... but these guys are building friendships.  Relationships.  The world has changed.  To have friends, one must be friendly :)   I for one am trying. 

Edited by Senormac
clarity

The picture of Marv and Len made me smile, and Steranko looked like Brad freaking Pitt.

I was in full fanboy mode in 1976; great times! I wouldn't make it to a comic show until the late 80s, but I did get to a Star Trek con in 1977, and that's exactly what it looked like!  

14 hours ago, tth2 said:

Sounds like listening to my grandfather ranting about how a hair cut used to cost just 5 cents, and craftsmanship was much better, back in the old days. 

no just stating a fact..the % of persons in that early convention that were comic book fans far outnumber that attend the convention today. Yes there are some great things about the SDCC...but I believe each year the "silver age section" gets smaller and smaller. I proposed that the convention be broken off one media/game room and one comic book room and the original comic book dealers have a reduced charge and let the media companies pay a premium on the table rates. I really thing that Wonder Con has in way made up for the gap here, the % of comic book related booths are much higher at that convention in my opinion. But I would say...one factor is we did not have the internet and we really had to learn from the RBCC etc and mainly conventions  what was gonna take place comic book wise in the future...especially kirby projects at SDCC since he was a great early attendee. Bigger does not mean better by any means. Different, yes.

17 hours ago, tth2 said:

They did and it was...

I bought my Flash #1 at that show for the princely sum of $175. It was a little over half my paltry budget at the time but I couldn't leave without it.

The art auction was always fun. Actually getting to see the artists actually draw what was being auctioned off. They went so cheap by today's standards. It was a fun event.

Sitting by the pool listening to Kirby and Eisner stories while Jack chomped on his cigar and Eisner corrected him also still stands out.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I bought my Flash #1 at that show for the princely sum of $175. It was a little over half my paltry budget at the time but I couldn't leave without it.

The art auction was always fun. Actually getting to see the artists actually draw what was being auctioned off. They went so cheap by today's standards. It was a fun event.

Sitting by the pool listening to Kirby and Eisner stories while Jack chomped on his cigar and Eisner corrected him also still stands out.

To have been there when those two giants of the medium were together discussing old times. I'd be as nostalgic as anyone for those simpler, more easy going shows.

More memories please!

Edited by goldust40

On 8/20/2017 at 0:07 PM, Senormac said:

I purchased a stack of  The Buyers Guide for Comic Fandoms a while back and finally got around to looking through #145 yesterday.  It's  from 1976 and is the San Diego Comic Con report issue.  It has 7 FULL pages of photos and a couple more of text interviews and info all about the show.  Pretty cool .  So, in the middle of the photos of  comic guests, artists and writers like Steranko, Sergio Aragones, Mel Blanc etc. ,  I found a photo of a current boardie holding up a  golden age book.  It made me smile.  I figure GOLD is the best place to post it. 

Here's a sample of a few of the photos with our boardies shot at the bottom.  Can you tell what book it is ?  I'm pretty sure I know 

TBG%20145%20c_zpssc5qbmie.jpg

That's a pic from the original panel about Star Wars, well before the movie came out. Here's a color pic of the guys with their Star Wars shirts. This is August '76. The comics came out in April '77 and the movie in May '77. Alter Ego ran a recent issue about the backstory of Star Wars at Marvel.

3_comic-con-1976-roy-thomas-howard-chaykin-respectivement-scenariste-illustrateur-comics-star-wars.jpg

Yeah I was going to mention that too. The introduction of Star Wars at the 1976 SDCC a year before the movie is pretty historic now.

For under 2 bucks they had the "Chaykin" Star Wars poster available which is now a grail for original Star Wars posters collectors.

IMG_0311.thumb.JPG.98942324dfd8de84008de6c6b21afae3.JPG

Edited by N e r V

What a great thread! Thanks for all the memories and stories.

Robot Man, I was at a pool party at this years SDCC 2017 but it wasn't as cool as the one you were at years before. Would of loved to of met those creators. 

Fandom has changed sure, and it's not like it was but in some ways it's gotten better. The books are still out there to be collected and discussed and there is even more content out there being released every year. It's never been a better time to find whatever you want online or flip through multiple auctions and hang out here on these boards..."the comic book mothership" as I like to call it. Here you basically have a virtual convention whenever you want it. So many great boardies I have met here and at shows over the years.

For artists and writers: I'll also add that there are so many options today for creators to publish and bring their work to the market. It's not just Marvel and DC anymore. If you have the vision, plan and time to execute a story, you can get your book made and out into the world on your own. 

I just love comics so friggin much! 

It's a wonderful hobby that has a bright future. 

Edited by Darth Corgi
I'm tired and misspell like a drunken orangutan.

3 hours ago, Darth Corgi said:

What a great thread! Thanks for all the memories and stories.

Robot Man, I was at a pool party at this years SDCC 2017 but it wasn't as cool as the one you were at years before. Would of loved to of met those creators. 

Fandom has changed sure, and it's not like it was but in some ways it's gotten better. The books are still out there to be collected and discussed and there is even more content out there being released every year. It's never been a better time to find whatever you want online or flip through multiple auctions and hang out here on these boards..."the comic book mothership" as I like to call it. Here you basically have a virtual convention whenever you want it. So many great boardies I have met here and at shows over the years.

For artists and writers: I'll also add that there are so many options today for creators to publish and bring their work to the market. It's not just Marvel and DC anymore. If you have the vision, plan and time to execute a story, you can get your book made and out into the world on your own. 

I just love comics so friggin much! 

It's a wonderful hobby that has a bright future. 

I agree it is a great time to get access to material which would take years to get. Two highly recommended purchases for GA/SA collector would be "Monsters" VoL 1 and just released Vo2  which completes the set . Every Kirby cover, story in chronological order...in  jumbo Marvel Monsterbus size...the color and repo are amazing as well a great price on amazon. Second I am reading the Adam Strange Omnibus which is just outstanding in the large format. That is one advantage today....of the course the fun of the "hunt" is gone, but it is a great time to get the best comic book material ever created at affordable prices.