• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Unrestored" raw Heritage win turns out to be restored

69 posts in this topic

I spoke to a senior person at Heritage Tues evening. Although the person did not have personal knowledge of this specific book or "controversy", that was the impression I was given as to what probably happened.

Doesn't give me a lot of faith in purchasing ungraded books from Heritage. The more professional an auction house, the less I would hope caveat emptor need control.

Unfortunately, having dealt with many auction houses, I have to say that I routinely see items placed for sale that are either questionable as to authenticity or sometimes clearly fake, yet the auction house turns a blind eye. frustrated.gif

But esquire.....this is not a run of the mill book. The description alone highlights the amount of attention to detail they were trying to give it. On the basis that it has a unique identifier (mailing label) it is extremely hard to fathom that they wouldn't know its' provedence and sales history.

Some of you guys are truly hilarious...could you get your faces wedged up their arse any further.

No, it's called giving credit when credit is due, a little positive reinforcement when deserved, as opposed to speaking only to whine about something negative. I thought it was pretty cool that Heritage showed non-standard pictures of the book that had the effect of allowing people to see the defect. The standard pictures shown by most auction houses and dealers would never have shown this. So I pointed out that Heritage had gone beyond the norm. If this makes me a brown-noser, then whatever.

Positive re-inforcement???? For what. They mis-represented a book. Yet I am supposed to feel good about them because they have large scans and will give me my money back if I catch them out. What I particularly can't handle is the apparent double standards where an individual getting caught on this would be hung, drawn and quartered.

But esquire.....this is not a run of the mill book. The description alone highlights the amount of attention to detail they were trying to give it. On the basis that it has a unique identifier (mailing label) it is extremely hard to fathom that they wouldn't know its' provedence and sales history.

I am not justifying what happened. I agree with you. I find what happened to be unexcusable and completely avoidable.

I feel sorry for those who buy items and are not as fortunate as this person to have done his research (not to mention the obviousness of the restoration) and had Internet evidence available for review.

Sorry....I know you are not agreeing with the practice. I shot from the hip without reading your whole message and its' intent.

As for the person being happy about the way heritage has dealt with this....so bloody what! It does not abrogate Heritage's responsibility to the comic community to explain how they run their business.

Sorry....I know you are not agreeing with the practice. I shot from the hip without reading your whole message and its' intent.

As for the person being happy about the way heritage has dealt with this....so bloody what! It does not abrogate Heritage's responsibility to the comic community to explain how they run their business.

From the sounds of it, it appears that there was some simple human error here, not an intentional misrepresentation. When presented with evidence that they missed restoration on a book, Heritage immediately did the right thing, accepted responsibility, and made the aggrieved party whole. They did not attempt to cover anything up, nor did they attempt to assign blame elsewhere.

Everyone makes mistakes. Me, you, everyone. What matters is how each of us owns responsibility when we discover our mistakes. Heritage owned responsibility for what happened and immediately did what it took to make things right.

If you want to know the inner workings of Heritage and what safeguards they have in place to detect restoration, call them up and ask them. It is silly to sit here on an internet message board and insist that they answer your amorphous demands when you aren't even the person affected by this mistake. Heritage does explain to the comic community how they run their business. Read the fine print in their auction catalog - it's all right there. If you have more questions after you read that, pick up the phone and ask your questions. I'll bet you'll even get some answers if you go the direct route instead of posting questions on a message board.

They mis-represented a book. Yet I am supposed to feel good about them because they have large scans and will give me my money back if I catch them out.

It's the Comic Keys business model.

"From the sounds of it, it appears that there was some simple human error here, not an intentional misrepresentation.

Heritage owned responsibility for what happened and immediately did what it took to make things right.

It is silly to sit here on an internet message board and insist that they answer your amorphous demands when you aren't even the person affected by this mistake."

You are an ignorant person, how do YOU conclude that this is a simple mistake. On what fact have you based this opinion. This is the same company that has had successful law suits against it for coin pricing mis-representation. Thank god you are not my lawyer.

"From the sounds of it, it appears that there was some simple human error here, not an intentional misrepresentation.

Heritage owned responsibility for what happened and immediately did what it took to make things right.

It is silly to sit here on an internet message board and insist that they answer your amorphous demands when you aren't even the person affected by this mistake."

You are an ignorant person, how do YOU conclude that this is a simple mistake. On what fact have you based this opinion. This is the same company that has had successful law suits against it for coin pricing mis-representation. Thank god you are not my lawyer.

Screw you, mushroom. I base my opinion on what I pointed out before.

Thank god I'm not your lawyer indeed. The last thing I need is a half-witted, hysterical, conspiracy-theorist client.

Your opinion.............on every thread you participate in you lord your opinion over the top of everybody else's like you are some oracle. Go back through your own posts and count the number of self opinionated and unsubstantiated missives that you have spewed forth. You play favourites and subsequently allow this to colour all your views.

Leave the pandering and mewing for your forum dinners and try to understand that others can have an opinion as well. I for one do see this industry of ours being worse off as a result of the practices of such auction houses as Heritage and will continue to voice my concerns whether your opinion agrees with it or not.

Your opinion.............on every thread you participate in you lord your opinion over the top of everybody else's like you are some oracle. Go back through your own posts and count the number of self opinionated and unsubstantiated missives that you have spewed forth. You play favourites and subsequently allow this to colour all your views.

Leave the pandering and mewing for your forum dinners and try to understand that others can have an opinion as well. I for one do see this industry of ours being worse off as a result of the practices of such auction houses as Heritage and will continue to voice my concerns whether your opinion agrees with it or not.

Must be hard on your back lugging that massive inferiority complex around all day. See a shrink now. yeahok.gif

Wow!

I love all of the conspiracies!!!

I appreciate FFB standing up for us a bit.

Ed Jaster and I are the two main guys taking consignment here, buying, grading etc. If we were involved in 10% of the conspiracies we were accused of, we would have time to do nothing else!

As far as when "Mushroom" says, "On the basis that it has a unique identifier (mailing label) it is extremely hard to fathom that they wouldn't know its' provedence and sales history.",

I sure did not know that. There is no way for us to know/remember where every item came from, all of its previous history, etc.

Did we miss the restoration on this book? Yes. Sorry, our bad. If CGC would encapsulate a book this large, they would have found it. We very rarely sell books that are worth over $200 "raw". We rely on CGC quite a bit, as they are the very best in catching these kinds of things.

We sell thousands of books a month. Do we miss something on 1% (or less) of them? Yes, I'm sure we do. We always make it right.

And, for everyone's information, I am usually the one checking books for restoration. Am I the world's foremost expert? Maybe not, but I'm extremely good. Out of the 10,000+++ books I've sent CGC over the years, less than 10 have come back with restoration that surprised me.

And, I keep coming on here having to tell who does not work here. Matt Nelson does NOT work for Heritage. Never has. He does live in Dallas, and is a very close personal friend of mine, but he owns his own business. People that own their own businesses do not work for Heritage.

Wow!

gossip.gif I stood up for Heritage here...

Great avatar!!! 27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif I wish I would have thought of that first! Christo_pull_hair.gif

There is no way for us to know/remember where every item came from, all of its previous history, etc.

Are you saying that you don't have exact knowledge of the history of every one of the 100,000 comic items you've sold? I'm shocked! Shocked!

27_laughing.gif

Wow!

gossip.gif I stood up for Heritage here...

Great avatar!!! 27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif I wish I would have thought of that first! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists.

Your world frightens and confuses me!

Wow!

I make a lot of money on conspiracy theories Lon, so you should relish it! insane.gif

And, I keep coming on here having to tell who does not work here. Matt Nelson does NOT work for Heritage. Never has. He does live in Dallas, and is a very close personal friend of mine, but he owns his own business. People that own their own businesses do not work for Heritage.

He may not "work" for Heritage as an employee, but it is true, is it not, that Heritage contracts out for Matt's services? popcorn.gif