• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Marvel Prices?

55 posts in this topic

agree that there is an overall softening to the market, but some books just seem to be immune:

Record price for AF 15 in CGC 8.0

Is that Metro as the buyer (I keep forgeting but I'm pretty sure the buyer is a dealer).

I know I am new in the game, but comic book collecting is definately not a fad! Beanie Babies = fad, Cabbage Patch Kids = fad, but comic collecting? I always considered it very insulting when people consider that when fellow current hardcore comic collectors die-no one else will want the comics they collected. In truth, all the comics I collect, I wasn't even born when they were published........

something to think about! I am back in the hobby because of CGC. I even got my lawyer collecting again because of CGC and he now buys most of his high end books on Comic Link-go figure! This is happening a lot-more and more people are getting back into the hobby! As I said before, when you buy a coin or a baseball card, you don't have to worry about it being restored and it is fairly easily graded. A comic book is a 3D object with multiple pages, etc. It can easily be restored and hard to grade accurately-this is why we NEED CGC in this hobby/business. This is why all the people who used to collect comic books are coming back in! I know at least 15 people I broght back into the hobby becasue of CGC!

A comic book is a 3D object with multiple pages, etc. It can easily be restored and hard to grade accurately-this is why we NEED CGC in this hobby/business.

To encapsulate it so that it can never bee treated as a 3D object again... poke2.gif

A comic book is a 3D object with multiple pages, etc. It can easily be restored and hard to grade accurately-this is why we NEED CGC in this hobby/business.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To encapsulate it so that it can never bee treated as a 3D object again...

Not exactly true. The slab could be opened, and actually many long time (non selling type) collectors do this. CGC provides a high level of assurance that there are no major defects that aren't accounted for and there is no restoration.

Comic Collecting is not a fad, but there will always be segments that are "FAD LIKE".

Just like buying the hottest internet stocks was more of a fad, then say buying stocks of well established companies.

agree that there is an overall softening to the market, but some books just seem to be immune:

Is that Metro as the buyer (I keep forgeting but I'm pretty sure the buyer is a dealer).

Metro was the runner-up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Metro was the runner-up.

Yes, I sure you are correct.

Who is the winner (I see that bidder a lot). Is that Brulato or a dealer?

The Journey #83 CGC 9.4 is the same copy that sold for $57,000 on ComicLink in late December. The collector that bought it used it in trade to another person. The person that acquired it in trade consigned it with Heritage to try ot realize a similar price at auction. Apparantly, a big mistake even without commission factored in. That does not mean the book is not worth more in December - it is a very scarce book and a highly demanded one. It also is not reflective of any kind of downturn in the market - we are not seeing one at all on ComicLink. It only means that it did not sell for a comparable price at a particular venue during a particular moment in time. I would encourage the buyer to list it on ComicLink when he is ready to sell. There is a significant profit that can be made there.

There is also profit potential for the Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.4 - in January 2004, the $122K record price realized by ComicLink was the first time that book broke the $100K barrier in a public sale. I believe that set a floor for that book in 9.4 and paved the way for significant upside potential. This most recent sale is a minor setback, but I believe it is only temporary.

Though specific books did not truly max out in the Heritage auction, I believe that considering the substantial breadth of the material offered, the prices realized were solid, and indicate a very, very strong market for vintage comic books going forward.

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

Email - buysell@comiclink.com

718/246-0300

*Note - in case there are follow up messages posted to the boards and I do not respond right away - that is not because I am being rude. Due to time constraints, I don't view these boards as regularly as I would like.

1) AF #15 WM CGC 9.4 sold for around $125K which is a lot less then the last sale, but appears to me a fair price, based on all sales over the last few years.

yes it is in line with the sale last year for 122K on Comiclink. But appears JP lost 28K since he bought it on Pedigree for 150 last summer. And then you have to factor in whether it really IS a 9.4, or a 9.2 in a 9.4 slab as many feel (Doug himself wrote that its a sweet copy but perhaps somewhere a tad short of really being a tru 9.4 copy.

2) JIM #83 CGC 9.4 sold for around $43K. This seemed low to me only because I saw a major dealer offer another major dealer / collector $50K for a JIM #83 CGC 9.4 in late February at Mega-Con (the seller didn't sell).

This price is only a little higher than the ebay sale years ago and far less than the Comiclink sale just recently, so a bit disappointing, or, to the buyer, maybe a steal? I been told by someone who saw it that it may have had SCS on the back which might explain it, if it was noticeable in the Heritage scans...

3) ASM #14 CGC 8.5 sold for over $2K. Seems like a bit much for a fairly common book that CGC 9.0 copies go for around $2-2.5K regularly.

4) Avengers #58 CGC 9.4 Pacific Coast for $431. With non-pedigree copies selling for about half this price (and a very common issue also), the PC pedigree sold this book.

5) Daredevil #9 CGC 9.6 Pacific Coast $1,380. Same as #4, PC pedigree sold this book.

6) FF #9 CGC 9.4 for $4.6K which is 2.35 guide. Thought this might go higher as this book is not for sale in this grade often. Five in 9.4 and two higher.

7) Sgt Fury #13 CGC 9.0 for over $600. Very common book in this grade that usually sells for a lot less (and seems to be offered almost every other month on eBay).

8) TTA #61 CGC 9.4. for over $1K. This is over 7 times guide. Shows how much a multiple will be paid for a tough book to find. Only two in 9.4 and two higher (fortunately I have the other 9.4 already). Yet, more common issue of this title (usually between 80-99) couldn't get 2 times guide. The census effect?

9) Strange Tales #107 CGC 9.0 for $1,150. Didn't expect this one to meet the high reserve. Great cover, but there are 10 issues in 9.0 and 10 higher, so it's not like there aren't copies (but very few seem to come up for sale). This one hurts because I still need a copy (just couldn't pony up this time).

I agree with kll of this....

10) TTA #27 CGC 9.0 Restored (Trimmed, Color Touch, Tear Sealed) for almost $1K. Very tough book to find but eventhough CGC says "Slight", seemed like a lot of restoration (and the book can't be unrestored). Yes, less then 25% of guide, so hard to say this was a too high or two low, but it does show that tough SA books can sell for some decent change even restored (and trimmed).

here too!.

Perhaps we are entering a lull. Or there was just too much stuff and too few dollars. Or the buying craze of the past few years has left all the spenders with empty wantlists? Or empty wallets??? Maybe there just isnt all that much "European money" coming ashore?

dont know.

The only comparable comparisons listed here are coins and baseball cards. Comic books have enjoyed steady upside for many years through multiple economic cycles. If a Depression occurs, then of course disposable income will be affected, and people will have less ability to collect anything including comics. I would say that the best way to avoid a loss in comics and to all but guarantee a profit, is to have a 3-5 year time horizon for investing, and to make intelligent purchases. This is the time horizon many (respectable) money managers and financial analysts will recommend for buying stocks or mutual funds, though without as little downside risk. There are many more x factors when dealing with stocks and funds. I would also suggest that you buy what you like and would not mind keeping for a long period of time - then it doesn't matter if something sits or sells. As investments go, stick with more popular titles or great covers, or buy scarce or high-grade material. This is now I invest and collect. There will always be a buyer for this stuff. If you are buying to flip and make a profit, it will most likely work for awhile, but there is more vulnerability and downside risk in times of lesser liquidity. This is the plight of the dealer. All and all though, comics have always been among the safest investments out there if one does not buy and then need to get the money out right away for one reason or another. That is a recipe for disaster. I have seen some investor-collectors do this after telling me their time horizon is 5 to 10 years or more, and paying high retail for material - even great material. Then the books are sold at auction less than a year later with losses abound. Investing the right way though, as I have described above, is very profitable.

Josh Nathanson

www.comiclink.com

buysell@comiclink.com

There is a part of me that says that the prices will increase over the years

But a part has apprehension that the comic market will fall with a thud when we die off

Hard to say but some examples to think about:

beanie babies

cabbage patch dolls

barbie dolls

matchbox cars

coins

stamps to some extent

even baseball cards are not once what they were

The USA is probably the number one country with the collect-it mindset but a severe economic turndown( such as a similar 1929 Depression) could change that

What do you think?

CAL 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good post Josh.

I feel much happier these days collecting books I like and want to keep in my collection for a long time, vs. ones that I thought would make good investments because a movie is in the works, the book is currently hot, etc.

All good points.

It's very easy to see that sales are strong on many books. I pointed out several strong sales in Heritage Auction and what I felt were reasonable sale prices (i.e. the AF #15 and JIM #83). Didn't really see any bargains per se.

That said, there is always a certain "glass ceiling" to everything, and if the selling period (i.e. mustt sell now), is condensed, then the ceiling has a greater chance of being lower.

Quality material that is less then $1K, has a lot more potential buyers (say 1,000's) then a JIM #83 CGC 9.4 (which maybe has 20-30 potential buyers with half being dealers).

Thanks again Josh! As I have been saying all along there is no bubble-whatever it is: stocks real estate, comics, etc. Here is one of my favorite all time quotes:

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A RISKY INVESTMENT, ONLY RISKY INVESTORS"

Think about it-I live my life by it and have a great deal of things to show for it.....

The Journey #83 CGC 9.4 is the same copy that sold for $57,000 on ComicLink in late December. The collector that bought it used it in trade to another person. The person that acquired it in trade consigned it with Heritage to try ot realize a similar price at auction. Apparantly, a big mistake even without commission factored in.

Josh, why didn't you scoop up the book yourself? Setting aside the issue of the most appropriate venue to sell the book, I'm curious why the person who sold on Heritage didn't set a reserve.

Though specific books did not truly max out in the Heritage auction, I believe that considering the substantial breadth of the material offered, the prices realized were solid, and indicate a very, very strong market for vintage comic books going forward.

I would say that it shows that some of the air in the bubble has been let out, but that there is still solid demand when things are priced reasonably.

would say that it shows that some of the air in the bubble has been let out, but that there is still solid demand when things are priced reasonably.

I agree with this. But I also believe in the Plateau theory meaning that values don't actually increase 5-10% every year. What mostly happens is that one year there will be a large increase (say 20-30%), followed by a smaller increase (say 5-10%) and then a plateau (very little change and maybe a slight decrease) for a year or two.

This is similar to Real Estate, Stocks, etc.

The Journey #83 CGC 9.4 is the same copy that sold for $57,000 on ComicLink in late December. The collector that bought it used it in trade to another person. The person that acquired it in trade consigned it with Heritage to try ot realize a similar price at auction. Apparantly, a big mistake even without commission factored in. That does not mean the book is not worth more in December - it is a very scarce book and a highly demanded one. It also is not reflective of any kind of downturn in the market - we are not seeing one at all on ComicLink. It only means that it did not sell for a comparable price at a particular venue during a particular moment in time. I would encourage the buyer to list it on ComicLink when he is ready to sell. There is a significant profit that can be made there.

There is also profit potential for the Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 9.4 - in January 2004, the $122K record price realized by ComicLink was the first time that book broke the $100K barrier in a public sale. I believe that set a floor for that book in 9.4 and paved the way for significant upside potential. This most recent sale is a minor setback, but I believe it is only temporary.

Josh Nathanson

Nice to hear your thoughts Josh, as your site is very high in our thoughts too!. Nice Superman run too! But Im wondering why you sold a #4 just recently when it would have fit that run perfectly? I guess selling a book is selling a book, whether its on comiclink or in a comiclink auction, but it would have plugged a big hole,..

The Journey #83 CGC 9.4 is the same copy that sold for $57,000 on ComicLink in late December. The collector that bought it used it in trade to another person. The person that acquired it in trade consigned it with Heritage to try ot realize a similar price at auction. Apparantly, a big mistake even without commission factored in.

Josh, why didn't you scoop up the book yourself? Setting aside the issue of the most appropriate venue to sell the book, I'm curious why the person who sold on Heritage didn't set a reserve.

Tim, I wasn't watching that book because I just figured there would not be so much left on the table. Then it was sold and I was surprised for how little. Regarding why the reserve wasn't higher - I'm not privy to that information. Maybe it was a low reserve in exchange for an advance. It has been known to happen. But Heritage would be the one to ask about that.

I would say that it shows that some of the air in the bubble has been let out, but that there is still solid demand when things are priced reasonably.

Tim - if as you say, there is solid demand when things are priced reasonably, then there is no bubble - there is support.

Josh Nathanson

Nice to hear your thoughts Josh, as your site is very high in our thoughts too!. Nice Superman run too! But Im wondering why you sold a #4 just recently when it would have fit that run perfectly? I guess selling a book is selling a book, whether its on comiclink or in a comiclink auction, but it would have plugged a big hole,..

The Superman #4 sold before I knew that the others were going to be auctioned off...

Here in Canada, the dollar has gone up from 62 cents a few years ago to 85 cents a few months ago against its American counterpart. There is a lot of news about a downturn in your economy and your increasing National debt. Since collectable comics are not a necessity, they would be among the last things purchased when an individual is having problems balancing his books. I have gotten a lot of good deals on Ebay recently, maybe that is why.

I also suspect that, in the long run, comics will go the way of pulps.

Pulps dealers were commonplace at comic and S-F conventions thirty years ago but when most of the people who grew up with the medium died, so did interest in the pulps. I work in a city of 120,000 people. There is one comic store and it is the part of town parents don't want there kids to go to. Most of the young people have never held a comic in there hands.

When we baby boomers reach retirement age we might start seller off our comics and put a glut on the market. Certainly when we die out wives will take them down to the comic shops (if there are comic shops) and sell them for peanuts. I can see a few key issues of key comics beating this scenerio (maybe Spider-Man, Superman, Archie) but I think my g-vg copy of Tales to Astonish #27 is ready to take a dive. My Sub-Mariner #3 doesn't have a hope.