• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Marvel Prices?

55 posts in this topic

I was on vacation last week during Heritage's Auction so I didn't get to follow too much of the action. Just wanted to get collectors opinions on the prices realized (surprises up or down).

My own observation:

1) AF #15 WM CGC 9.4 sold for around $125K which is a lot less then the last sale, but appears to me a fair price, based on all sales over the last few years.

2) JIM #83 CGC 9.4 sold for around $43K. This seemed low to me only because I saw a major dealer offer another major dealer / collector $50K for a JIM #83 CGC 9.4 in late February at Mega-Con (the seller didn't sell).

3) ASM #14 CGC 8.5 sold for over $2K. Seems like a bit much for a fairly common book that CGC 9.0 copies go for around $2-2.5K regularly.

4) Avengers #58 CGC 9.4 Pacific Coast for $431. With non-pedigree copies selling for about half this price (and a very common issue also), the PC pedigree sold this book.

5) Daredevil #9 CGC 9.6 Pacific Coast $1,380. Same as #4, PC pedigree sold this book.

6) FF #9 CGC 9.4 for $4.6K which is 2.35 guide. Thought this might go higher as this book is not for sale in this grade often. Five in 9.4 and two higher.

7) Sgt Fury #13 CGC 9.0 for over $600. Very common book in this grade that usually sells for a lot less (and seems to be offered almost every other month on eBay).

8) TTA #61 CGC 9.4. for over $1K. This is over 7 times guide. Shows how much a multiple will be paid for a tough book to find. Only two in 9.4 and two higher (fortunately I have the other 9.4 already). Yet, more common issue of this title (usually between 80-99) couldn't get 2 times guide. The census effect?

9) Strange Tales #107 CGC 9.0 for $1,150. Didn't expect this one to meet the high reserve. Great cover, but there are 10 issues in 9.0 and 10 higher, so it's not like there aren't copies (but very few seem to come up for sale). This one hurts because I still need a copy (just couldn't pony up this time).

10) TTA #27 CGC 9.0 Restored (Trimmed, Color Touch, Tear Sealed) for almost $1K. Very tough book to find but eventhough CGC says "Slight", seemed like a lot of restoration (and the book can't be unrestored). Yes, less then 25% of guide, so hard to say this was a too high or two low, but it does show that tough SA books can sell for some decent change even restored (and trimmed).

Just my thought.

Anyone else?

They were going through the roof for the last 5 years so there is bound to be a correction.

Buy. thumbsup2.gif

7) Sgt Fury #13 CGC 9.0 for over $600. Very common book in this grade that usually sells for a lot less (and seems to be offered almost every other month on eBay).

Mint 10.0 0 0 0 0 0

Mint 9.9 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint + 9.6 2 0 0 0 2

Near Mint 9.4 8 0 0 0 8

Near Mint - 9.2 12 0 0 0 12

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 22 0 0 0 22

Well, it is the highest grade total with 22 issues (not counting re-subs), but I'm not sure I'd call that "common" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mint 10.0 0 0 0 0 0

Mint 9.9 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint + 9.6 2 0 0 0 2

Near Mint 9.4 8 0 0 0 8

Near Mint - 9.2 12 0 0 0 12

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 22 0 0 0 22

Well, it is the highest grade total with 22 issues (not counting re-subs), but I'm not sure I'd call that "common" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think he was referring to the quality of the story poke2.gif

Based on this and other reports it sounds like if the final price stays at 2K or under there can still be room for a new price record - but once you get into the big money and the players are far fewer ther might be some price resistance starting. I don't know enough to do more than wildly speculate on this- anyone think this might be so?

1) AF #15 WM CGC 9.4 sold for around $125K which is a lot less then the last sale, but appears to me a fair price, based on all sales over the last few years.

yes it is in line with the sale last year for 122K on Comiclink. But appears JP lost 28K since he bought it on Pedigree for 150 last summer. And then you have to factor in whether it really IS a 9.4, or a 9.2 in a 9.4 slab as many feel (Doug himself wrote that its a sweet copy but perhaps somewhere a tad short of really being a tru 9.4 copy.

2) JIM #83 CGC 9.4 sold for around $43K. This seemed low to me only because I saw a major dealer offer another major dealer / collector $50K for a JIM #83 CGC 9.4 in late February at Mega-Con (the seller didn't sell).

This price is only a little higher than the ebay sale years ago and far less than the Comiclink sale just recently, so a bit disappointing, or, to the buyer, maybe a steal? I been told by someone who saw it that it may have had SCS on the back which might explain it, if it was noticeable in the Heritage scans...

3) ASM #14 CGC 8.5 sold for over $2K. Seems like a bit much for a fairly common book that CGC 9.0 copies go for around $2-2.5K regularly.

4) Avengers #58 CGC 9.4 Pacific Coast for $431. With non-pedigree copies selling for about half this price (and a very common issue also), the PC pedigree sold this book.

5) Daredevil #9 CGC 9.6 Pacific Coast $1,380. Same as #4, PC pedigree sold this book.

6) FF #9 CGC 9.4 for $4.6K which is 2.35 guide. Thought this might go higher as this book is not for sale in this grade often. Five in 9.4 and two higher.

8) TTA #61 CGC 9.4. for over $1K. This is over 7 times guide. Shows how much a multiple will be paid for a tough book to find. Only two in 9.4 and two higher (fortunately I have the other 9.4 already). Yet, more common issue of this title (usually between 80-99) couldn't get 2 times guide. The census effect?

9) Strange Tales #107 CGC 9.0 for $1,150. Didn't expect this one to meet the high reserve. Great cover, but there are 10 issues in 9.0 and 10 higher, so it's not like there aren't copies (but very few seem to come up for sale). This one hurts because I still need a copy (just couldn't pony up this time).

I agree with kll of this....

10) TTA #27 CGC 9.0 Restored (Trimmed, Color Touch, Tear Sealed) for almost $1K. Very tough book to find but eventhough CGC says "Slight", seemed like a lot of restoration (and the book can't be unrestored). Yes, less then 25% of guide, so hard to say this was a too high or two low, but it does show that tough SA books can sell for some decent change even restored (and trimmed).

here too!.

Perhaps we are entering a lull. Or there was just too much stuff and too few dollars. Or the buying craze of the past few years has left all the spenders with empty wantlists? Or empty wallets??? Maybe there just isnt all that much "European money" coming ashore?

dont know.

Hey Steve and others -

I've noticed a gradual softening of the HG SA Marvel market myself, and as a collector who has moved out of that market I'm happy to say it's behind me. With more HG copies coming up on the census, the dangers of "slab damage" to HG books (for whatever reasons), non-disclosed or undetectable restoration pushing books up 2 or more grades, etc., I think there's perhaps less confidence in CGC and the HG market right now.

For instance, five of the HG FF books listed on the recent Heritage auction used to be mine, including the #9 in 9.4. All are terrific books and strong examples of the grade given (at least IMO). I bought high and sold equally high (only a 2% profit) about a year ago as I turned toward OA and keys, but the Heritage seller(s) only raked in about 70% (when all the BP's are taken out) from my original buy prices. Definitely a slower period, at least in the FF market.

It does seem like a good time to consider buying HG SA, but it might even get better in a year or two. Who knows? As always, buy what you like at a price you can afford!

Dan

For instance, five of the HG FF books listed on the recent Heritage auction used to be mine, including the #9 in 9.4. All are terrific books and strong examples of the grade given (at least IMO). I bought high and sold equally high (only a 2% profit) about a year ago as I turned toward OA and keys, but the Heritage seller(s) only raked in about 70% (when all the BP's are taken out) from my original buy prices. Definitely a slower period, at least in the FF market.

It seems to me that Common Issues (i.e. many post-1965 books, other then Keys) and those Pre-1965 non-key issues in very high grade, with coresponding high prices, will have a tough time significantly increasing in value over the next few years. Basically, unless you are a high grade completionist, it's tough to pony up $2K or more for non-key issues, just because it's a 9.4 (or higher).

It just seems that most of the HG completionist at this time, have most of the books they need. Of course it will only take one or two more collectors who decide they have to have a HG run of FF's, or other early titles to push up prices, as these books aren't offered for sale very often.

I appreciate the many informed thoughts on the current state of the market for high grade Silver Age Marvels. While it may be the case that books are no longer getting record-setting prices, I can tell you that none of the 4 books I was fortunate to win in the Sig Auction came cheap. Frankly, I think this is healthy for the market, for a time in which books continually change hands for record prices is unsustainable at best, and potentially catastrophic at worst.

I appreciate the many informed thoughts on the current state of the market for high grade Silver Age Marvels. While it may be the case that books are no longer getting record-setting prices, I can tell you that none of the 4 books I was fortunate to win in the Sig Auction came cheap. Frankly, I think this is healthy for the market, for a time in which books continually change hands for record prices is unsustainable at best, and potentially catastrophic at worst.

Of the books that you won, do you consider them "Hard to Find" issues? Or are expensive books, but relatively common (assuming you are willing to pay the piper).

As I stated, I was surprised that books like ASM #14 CGC 8.5, Sgt. Fury #13 CGC 9.0 and the Pacific Coast books like Avengers #58 CGC 9.4 and Daredevil #9 CGC 9.6 went for as much as they did.

I notice that prices are a little higher as we approach the summer and drop in the winter.

I definitely have noticed the lower prices for HG FF's, especially. Maybe the movie is getting bad buzz?

I thought in general the prices in this auction was higher than what I have normally seen on the market. I was on numerous books well before the internet auction closed. The ST#107 was a huge surprise but it is a hard to find book so I can see why someone would want to chase it down. Funny enough a raw copy labelled as "9.4" just sold on EBay for only $660. Now it may not be a 9.4 but I'm sure it would have a good shot at a 9.0 so someone got one heck of a deal. I would have chased this but given my recent purchases I just was not in a position to do so. Christo_pull_hair.gif

ST#107 9.4

I

I definitely have noticed the lower prices for HG FF's, especially. Maybe the movie is getting bad buzz?

From MSNBC.com

Buzz: Word of mouth on this one has not been good — it hasn’t been “Catwoman” bad, but it might be playing in that ballpark. Story is best known for directing “Barbershop” and “Taxi.” Chiklis had to get therapy to deal with the claustrophobia caused by being trapped in The Thing’s suit during filming. With “Sin City,” this year, Alba’s star is certainly on the rise. Ioan Gruffudd is one of those names (along with about a dozen others) that is being tossed around as the next Bond

"bad buzz" at this stage wouldnt affect FF pricing. The movie bump happens on the announcement not th elead up to the release. The move happened. Anyway, having a big budget movie fail still leave s the characters as heads above the 10,000 other comics characters who have had NO movies, games, or licensing deals, doesnt it? Hit or miss film, the FF are still one of Marvel's and comics biggest successes.

There is a part of me that says that the prices will increase over the years

But a part has apprehension that the comic market will fall with a thud when we die off

Hard to say but some examples to think about:

beanie babies

cabbage patch dolls

barbie dolls

matchbox cars

coins

stamps to some extent

even baseball cards are not once what they were

The USA is probably the number one country with the collect-it mindset but a severe economic turndown( such as a similar 1929 Depression) could change that

What do you think?

CAL 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There is a part of me that says that the prices will increase over the years

But a part has apprehension that the comic market will fall with a thud when we die off

Hard to say but some examples to think about:

beanie babies

cabbage patch dolls

barbie dolls

matchbox cars

coins

stamps to some extent

even baseball cards are not once what they were

The USA is probably the number one country with the collect-it mindset but a severe economic turndown( such as a similar 1929 Depression) could change that

What do you think?

CAL 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Aside from coins and maybe stamps those are all short term fads so I think your comparing apples with oranges. Why worry about it unless you in it for the quick flip? In 20 years your key books will probably be well ahead of the game so I think that is all we can ask for. If some of our books skyrocket them consider that a bonus.

the $125K includes the buyers premium, the actual sales price was $110K, so the sellers loss (pre-tax) was really $40,000 - ouch! frown.gif

yes it is in line with the sale last year for 122K on Comiclink. But appears JP lost 28K since he bought it on Pedigree for 150 last summer. And then you have to factor in whether it really IS a 9.4, or a 9.2 in a 9.4 slab as many feel (Doug himself wrote that its a sweet copy but perhaps somewhere a tad short of really being a tru 9.4 copy.