• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie Grader Question

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I have a question regarding grading comics. I have collected comics for some time now, but never really paid much attention to the grading aspect of my comics. Now that I am starting to branch off into older comics (Silver and Bronze Spidey's, Hulks etc). Anyhoo, I'm rambling off now. My question is does a comic that is 30 years old and a comic that is from last month fall under the same grading scale? Are there any considerations taken into account for the age of the books?

Anyway that's all I have (for now). 893blahblah.gif

By the way, let me take a moment to compliment everyone on the board for being so informative about collecting and comics in general. I have learned so much since finding this board. Great job! This place is awesome.

Each comic age, at least unofficially according to CGC has some curve with respect to grading. The farther back you go the more lenient they are. So modern comics are graded the harshest.

Different people have different views on this. Some feel a comic is a comic and should be graded on its own merits regardless of how old it is.

Others feel that Golden Age books should be graded with some bias because of the age and manner in which they were stored, etc.

Each comic age, at least unofficially according to CGC has some curve with respect to grading. The farther back you go the more lenient they are. So modern comics are graded the harshest.

Different people have different views on this. Some feel a comic is a comic and should be graded on its own merits regardless of how old it is.

Others feel that Golden Age books should be graded with some bias because of the age and manner in which they were stored, etc.

Wow, I didn't know this, I just figured CGC went by the "A comic's age has nothing to do with grade" idea. So if I took a cgc 9.6 from say the 80s it would possibly look better than a book from the 50s or 60s also in 9.8?