• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we in the midst of a new Golden Age of comics today?

24 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

I'm still waiting for good stuff to come out, I'm still waiting for comics to return to newsprint and not be $3.99 each with yet another "group shot" on the cover or a homage of another classic cover. You can't even find the issue number on the cover anymore on Marvels. It's all about autographs and variant covers now with modern age. People are crazy to be chasing this stuff. I know it's morbid to say but autographs aren't worth much unless the person is dead and the market is flooded with Stan Lee auto's and almost every variant cover, tanks in price. 

Less people getting auto's now, IMO. Yes, covers have moved more towards art than relating to the story. Mainly for one producer. That's what seems to sell for them.

On 8/26/2017 at 6:39 PM, Mr bla bla said:

There Seem to be soo much good stuff commin out these days. Awesome art, great stories, weird creator owned stuff. Im enjoying it. I wonder how people will view this creative juncture in time in say 10 or 20 years?

I wouldn't be surprised if they barely remember it at all - there are too many things vying for people's attention, and in this day and age, rehashing the same stories (or near enough) about the same characters (or near enough) over and over and over and over again... That numbing repetition is my opinion on why the independent publishers have seen the only true growth in the industry over the last few decades. Considering the primarily adult readership in all comics - independent and Big Two - it doesn't seem risky to suggest that once the various fandom tiers die off or move on, replacement numbers sufficient to absorb those collections will be highly unlikely.