• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on NM collecting
2 2

84 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, kav said:
9 hours ago, lizards2 said:

No it wasn't

were you even collecting comics in the 70s?

Yes - I began buying back issues in 1972.

9 hours ago, kav said:
9 hours ago, lizards2 said:

No it wasn't

WELL WHAT WAS THEN???

It was somewhere below a Fine and somewhere above a Good.  When the grade "Very Good" came into existence, any book with a sub-crease had VG as a maximum grade, unlike today, where it seems like higher grades  (up to VG/Fine to Fine-??  5.0/5.5) are often assigned to books with sub creases.

it always seems sort of counter intuitive to me that sub creases get hammered so hard compared to other types of things like date stamps, printing defects, and other production/distribution flaws. Seems like if the books were sent from the publisher directly and that action caused a subscription crease, it would be part of the process.

I accept that is the way it is but it seems a little off somehow.

Just now, 01TheDude said:

it always seems sort of counter intuitive to me that sub creases get hammered so hard compared to other types of things like date stamps, printing defects, and other production/distribution flaws. Seems like if the books were sent from the publisher directly and that action caused a subscription crease, it would be part of the process.

I accept that is the way it is but it seems a little off somehow.

Sub-creases wreck every, single page.

Date stamps? (shrug)

Get serious.

19 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:
22 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Sub-creases wreck every, single page.

Date stamps? (shrug)

Get serious.

I am not saying it is not damage-- just that the degree to which the grade gets hammered seems harsh. Date stamps are nothing-- agreed (I actually like them).

Maybe that's why some people have loosened up on the straight VG call.  I agree there has to be some way to differentiate between a sub-copy that has been hammered with other wear and one that was just removed from the mailer, and has no other wear.

17 hours ago, kav said:
17 hours ago, lizards2 said:

No it wasn't

WELL WHAT WAS THEN???

In my experience Mint books were what today might pass as anything from a VF range to a NM range, depending on the defects. It's why I consider VF range to still be high grade.

There's no way what you posted was considered a Mint book.

Just now, VintageComics said:

In my experience Mint books were what today might pass as anything from a VF range to a NM range, depending on the defects. It's why I consider VF range to still be high grade.

There's no way what you posted was considered a Mint book.

Well there is a way, if you went to the LCS I went to in 1976.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Well there is a way, if you went to the LCS I went to in 1976.

Ah, OK. I thought you meant it as an accepted standard.

Yeah, there are a lot of people who have no clue how to grade.

Ah, OK. I thought you meant it as an accepted standard.

Yeah, there are a lot of people who have no clue how to grade.

yep I was just speaking about one LCS and their wacky grades.  The worst grader I ever encountered though was an ebay seller.  He had a coverless book listed as 'mint'.  I messaged him wtf he rebutted that the part of the book that was still there, was mint.  I replied that I had an Action #1 mint I would sell him.  It consisted of a scrap of page 19 that was absolutely white pages!!!!

26 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Exactly my experience in a different country/region!

29 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
56 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If you've never heard of the story of John Verzyl purchasing the Mile High // Edger Church Marvel Comics #1, he went with the intention of finding defects on the book to haggle the price down.

He ended up paying full asking price because he couldn't find a defect on the book.

He figures it will grade a CGC 9.8 if he ever grades it. It's still raw.

1 minute ago, VintageComics said:
32 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
59 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If you've never heard of the story of John Verzyl purchasing the Mile High // Edger Church Marvel Comics #1, he went with the intention of finding defects on the book to haggle the price down.

He ended up paying full asking price because he couldn't find a defect on the book.

He figures it will grade a CGC 9.8 if he ever grades it. It's still raw.

Hopefully his grading has improved since the old Comic Heaven auctions, or it might be an 8.0.

23 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Hopefully his grading has improved since the old Comic Heaven auctions, or it might be an 8.0.

I've never bought a raw book from him so I can't comment.

24 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I've never bought a raw book from him so I can't comment.

I never expected you to, as you have more class than I do.  His grading skills have been discussed here before, usually  in the "I will never buy from again" context.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I never expected you to, as you have more class than I do.  His grading skills have been discussed here before, usually  in the "I will never buy from again" context.

lol

It's funny, we always talk comics when I see him and he just seems to be this happy go lucky, super positive, I love everyone dude who actually believes most of his slabbed books are undergraded.

I guess we learn from trial and error what works and what doesn't.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:20 AM, lizards2 said:
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:09 PM, kav said:
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, lizards2 said:

No it wasn't

WELL WHAT WAS THEN???

It was somewhere below a Fine and somewhere above a Good.  When the grade "Very Good" came into existence, any book with a sub-crease had VG as a maximum grade, unlike today, where it seems like higher grades  (up to VG/Fine to Fine-??  5.0/5.5) are often assigned to books with sub creases.

sub creases were the death blow to me.  I hated them.....still do, and I agree..... no sub crease book can ever be a fine or better .  Never :sumo: