• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are signatures worth getting?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2017 at 7:07 AM, Mercury Man said:

I think the market for people who want a signed book is smaller than the people that don't.  So from a resale perspective, you have a smaller window of buyers to entice.    Stan Lee, in my opinion, has signed sooooo many books in his lifetime, that there will never be any shortage, even of the good stuff that he worked on.  If you see his signature on modern book that he had nothing to do with, that is just silly.  Even worse if it was a character he had nothing to do with (Deadpool for example).   I always thought it was better to get a print of the comic book cover you want signed.    But we are all different.  I just don't put a premium on a signed book. 

Ok, as an example if you saw a high graded CGC ASM #1 reprint from 1966 that was signed by Lee would that sig catch your attention? It's a book he had a lot to do with.

And to further complicate things there are sketches (detailed or not) & date of signature to consider.

Edited by MGsimba77

32 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Curious why would you dislike signed silver age books?

It just seems like a violation. In my opinion, books that old need to be preserved in the original condition. If you're looking for a more rational reason, I'm afraid I won't be able to give it to you. It's just my personal taste.

10 minutes ago, newshane said:

It just seems like a violation. In my opinion, books that old need to be preserved in the original condition. If you're looking for a more rational reason, I'm afraid I won't be able to give it to you. It's just my personal taste.

I see your point but if they're graded high & in a slab it seems like it would be preferable to have the artist sig rather than not. All they did was sign it. Just my view 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 9/5/2017 at 3:38 PM, CKinTO said:

Ditto, I think this is a different-strokes-for-different-folks kind of deal. Me personally, on any "reasonably high-end" key, I prefer my books unsigned and blue-label. That's just the way I am. But some books which are sentimental, lower-value key or are very iconic, I like getting them signed by the person that mattered the most on the book. And agree with @Timeless icons, for me signature placement (and color) make a big difference.

The yellow label books I tend to get or be interested in fall into 2 camps. 1) Unique or cool cover, to get signed by the cover artist (ie. a Dell'Otto, Mattina, JSC, Natali Sanders, Granov variant cover, which is more for my personal collection); 2) A key book signed by a key creator, and again for me, only for books that aren't that high end (ie. Uncanny X-men 248, 1st Jim Lee art on X-Men, signed by Jim Lee; a Dawn or Cry For Dawn book signed J. Michael Linsner given he is essentially synonymous with Dawn). Whereas, for my ASM300 9.6, I have blue-label, and doubt I would ever crack it to get McFarlane's signature, even though that's an iconic book for him and his art. It's a bit "too high-end" of a key for me to want to get signed. Again just my preference.

I'm also someone who, rather than try to be completist and get all writer / artists on a book, I prefer just 1 signature, and usually by the person that matters the most on the book. Now, obviously that's a judgment call, but for example, I'd want just Donny Cates on any of his books since he's really the primary draw and reason for those books having gained steam, similarly would want just Tom King on the more recent Vision or Mr. Miracle, as it's the writing that really brought those books attention). 

This is just the way I prefer it - as is often noted on these boards though, get what you like!

Take it you wouldn't be a fan of this one lol

IMG_20171003_210927.jpg

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Ok, as an example if you saw a high graded CGC ASM #1 reprint from 1966 that was signed by Lee would that sig catch your attention? It's a book he had a lot to do with.

And to further complicate things there are sketches (detailed or not) & date of signature to consider.

I'm not interested, but to my point, I'm not interested in signed comics, so I am not in that market.   I have gotten Stan Lee's signature 3x, none of which are on a comic book but rather small prints/posters.   I've gotten Steranko, Perez, Romita Sr., all on small prints/posters, not comics.