• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS Feature hold for pick up?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I have never seen this before just curious what exactly it means since I live in Canada? When I read online it says USPS will hold the package at one of it's facilities but there is no USPS facility here in Canada. So do they mean once they transfer it over to Canada Post that Canada Post will leave me a notice to go pick it up at a Canada Post location near my residence? I can't imagine they would hold it in the U.S then I would have to go to the U.S to pick it up myself at a USPS location that would be simply crazy.

I could give you an answer based on guess/common sense, but not on actual knowledge: that USPS 'hold for pickup' sites you mentioned don't apply in Canadia-land because USPS doesn't have operations there.  It's conceivable, but not likely, that Canada Post and USPS have a joint agreement that addresses this topic, in which case it would apply to participating CP locations (as mentioned, don't think it likely, given the nature of gubmint bureaucracy).

41 minutes ago, grebal said:

I could give you an answer based on guess/common sense, but not on actual knowledge: that USPS 'hold for pickup' sites you mentioned don't apply in Canadia-land because USPS doesn't have operations there.  It's conceivable, but not likely, that Canada Post and USPS have a joint agreement that addresses this topic, in which case it would apply to participating CP locations (as mentioned, don't think it likely, given the nature of gubmint bureaucracy).

Canadians get hosed by each other and their own government...., why shouldn't the USPS hose them too? :gossip:

Very rarely do we ever, if at all use "hold for pick-up" when scanning an item, especially if you didn't ask for us to hold it. The only time we might use it is if the item for some reason cannot be delivered (too big, too heavy, live animal, etc.) or if you haven't been checking your mail and we put a 10 day hold on your mail and require you to come pick it up. The only other thing I can think of is we're holding it waiting to hand it off to Canada post or the likes, for them to complete delivery. (Which I think one of the above messages touched on already.)

5 hours ago, SC22 said:

I have never seen this before just curious what exactly it means since I live in Canada? When I read online it says USPS will hold the package at one of it's facilities but there is no USPS facility here in Canada. So do they mean once they transfer it over to Canada Post that Canada Post will leave me a notice to go pick it up at a Canada Post location near my residence? I can't imagine they would hold it in the U.S then I would have to go to the U.S to pick it up myself at a USPS location that would be simply crazy.

Card out for pick up is a service that Canada Post provides, I'm guessing that's what you're referring to.  Sender can request that a package is sent to the addresses card out location and a card out is sent to the addressee.  When the delivery employee scans the item's bar code his scanner forces him to write a card out card and scan the card out card bar code.  If the sender is worried about theft this service makes sense, the delivery employee won't be able to sign for the item and leave it on the addresses doorstep - seems to have become a real problem.

6 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Do they have a PO box system available in Canada? serious question-- never been there, do not know.

I always wondered why some people on ebay were unwilling to send items to a PO Box

Yes, most post offices have a section of PO Boxes.

I have seen the new feature posted in their website where I use my account to pick up parcels in Blaine. I did bit of compares and I feel I am better off picking in Blaine for few reasons. 

- buy cheap gas at the same time

- save myself in broker fees if I need to declare my books/items myself at customs office (which is rare)

- same time as I can go wander around for garage/yard sales on weekends in WA state. 

- shipping in U.S. is still cheaper. Sometimes even free shipping within the States. 

If I were to decide to request parcels go into Canada. It would increase the price of fees to add on top of $5 fee each parcel. At $11-12 U.S. Fee multiple times how many parcels. Too much for me.