• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books that sell better raw then slabbed

13 posts in this topic

I thought this would be interesting topic. There are actually books that sell better or as good raw then slabbed. This could be very educational for some
especially people like more or don't slab very often. This topic should be about books who valuewise are better to sell raw then slabbed. 

Once you factor in the time, cost and materials to get the book slabbed you are in for around $50. Feel free to correct me I am just using this as
average. Now what type of value can you expect is that the question really is. If you buy a book for $50 slabbed it and you have another $50 in it. 
Now lets say it only hits a 9.6. You have to hope that to collectors is worth the difference.

Catwoman 51 is the best example I can think of currently. I have a NM+ copy that I was considering slabbing. I don't have GPA so I can only go off
ebay sales. Its a $120-150 raw give or take. 9.6  is $120-150ish.  9.8 is $200-250 book. So there in lies the risk. You get a 9.6 and your are out money. You hit a 9.8 and
you make $80-120 after fees so you did okay. 

So the risk reward for me isn't there although I paid somewhat less. How about some others for discussion?

Unless you have thousands of feedback it is, in my experience, extremely difficult to get buyer's to pay premium prices on raw NM+ and NM/MT books. They will however have no issue with pestering you constantly about clearly labeled NM books and whether they could be sent in for grading and achieve a 9.8. That said your raw book is most likely going to sell much quicker, and depending how easy it is for you to acquire new inventory, your profits overall will be higher if you are turning and burning raw books as opposed to waiting for books to get graded. In regards to moderns anyway.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well and I how I sell comics. 

I can get a premium for a NM+ book sometimes, but to me it has to be pretty much perfect to call it that. Occasionally I get
that buyer asking loaded questions as well. I answer them as well as I can and tell them I am not CGC. I graded
it NM+ not 9.8 that's for you to decide. Its why I wont give any book ever give a 9.8 grade raw there is no upside to it 
at all. These sellers that call a raw book 9.8 are almost as bad as sellers that want to get NM or higher prices for their books,
but wont put a grade on their book because they are "not professional graders".

I went to a show few months ago and bought Catwoman 45, 46, 53, 56, 60, 74, 75 and 77 for $130, all came back 9.8 except the 60 and 74.

Later bought his 51 for $110, came back 9.8. 

Pissed about the 74, found a tear on the back cover. 

On 9/2/2017 at 9:59 AM, fastballspecial said:

So the risk reward for me isn't there although I paid somewhat less. How about some others for discussion?

This is true for many non-mainstream titles, e.g.. American Splendor 1-5. Realizing just now, I'm in the Modern thread, virtually all of the modern books I sell, sell for more than what I would have netted after slabbing. And Catwoman #51 was a prime example.  Many Bolland covers will net more raw than slabbed. 

Edited by divad

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:59 PM, divad said:

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, fastballspecial said:

This is true for many non-mainstream titles, e.g.. American Splendor 1-5. Realizing just now, I'm in the Modern thread, virtually all of the modern books I sell, sell for more than what I would have netted after slabbing. And Catwoman #51 was a prime example.  Many Bolland covers will net more raw than slabbed. 

Edited September 3 by divad

Lets also keep in mind I am discussing the average sale as well. If I look at 10/20 copies of the book in a the same grade. I am not looking at the highest sales, because honestly it can be misleading for all types of reasons.

I do agree Bolland and Hughes have several buyers that prefer raw. We tend to forget sometimes that we aren't the majority of the market, but a microcosm that is growing.