• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atomic Comics #1 on recent Heritage auction

9 posts in this topic

I was surprised by this one --

Atomic Comics #1, 1946, *classic cover*, Rockford pedigree, CGC 9.0.

linky poo

Went for $747, and that includes bidder's premium.

Sheesh. Guide on that is $1260. I was sorta/kinda watching that one, and am surprised at the low value. A beautiful GA classic and it goes for 2/3 guide? A similar one in 8.5 also got a much lower winning bid than I expected.

What am I missing here?

I've seen this book up for auction quite a few times over the last 1-2 years. Not sure if it was the same copy or not, but my recollection is that this book has never commanded high prices. Of course, a quick check of GPAnalysis may prove my recollection wrong.

GPA lists 3 other sales of non-ped copies:

$999 Sept 2003

$891 July 2004

$950 Aug 2004

Seems the book never really goes for guide but the Heritage book is a pedigree so the buyer seems to have gotten a nice deal...

I speculate that the Cream pages affects the final bid total...

I considered buying one or both of the two copies that Heritage just auctioned. I also recall that they were not the best looking copies I ever saw. They were nice, but ... well, the buyer got a good price so good for him/her.

Lon is very right on with this one!

I dont think I've ever had a "low grade" copy of this book, do any exist below VG+/F?

I've owned 4 in the last 3 years. They seem to just trade around the hobby, and sometimes sell to a real customer.

Everyone loves it for the Detective #8 cover with the Actions Comics style lettering.