• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting X-men auctions

46 posts in this topic

Bronze X men's seem to be going down, but Silver is definetly going up. I got a CGC 9.4 X Men #58 for $250 last year, and that's what 9.2's go for now, with 9.4's hitting the $400 range

While the rarity of SA X-Men has helped support their prices, I disagree with the blanket statement that they are all going up and do not think they will continue to do so in the medium/long-term. I loosely track issues #1-49 and follow issues #50-65 very closely. Many of the issues from the latter group peaked last summer along with much of the CGC market. Issue #61 was fetching well over $300 last year and has lately fetched in the low $200s. The Curator copy of #65 sold for $356 last August and then resold for $225 four months ago. Even the #58 you cited fetched a whopping $461 last October...the last sale I saw was for $303. There were multiple cr to ow 9.4 copies of #50 which topped $300 last year (even as high as $360)...the last copy sold for $200 this month. Heck, a 9.4 copy of #45 sold for $600 during the Movie/CGC mania days of last May...the last copy sold for just 1/3rd that amount ($200).

Sure, I can also point to issues that have risen since last year, but overall, the record is far more mixed. Also, the price declines in the later (more common) issues may be a harbinger of what's to eventually come for the earlier issues over time. I think the price trend for most issues is down, and we've seen it happen in the Bronze & Modern issues first because they are so common, but as the valuation gap between SA and BA/MA widens and more SA copies show up over time, I think SA issues will also converge to lower price levels. It just takes time, don't ask me to point out the bargains today!

Gene

I did not really mean "going up" as a definitive blanket statement, I'm just referring to the trend of the last month or 2. Also, I have a lot of CGC price data for Silver, and I can safetly say that you can pull out prices to argue either way. And of course, certain issues will command lower/higher prices at different times, depending on perceived rarity at the time, as well as a million other factors. The problem with price data for auctions is that it does not take many things into account, like what else was on the open market, seasonal factors etc...

My point is, I believe we're CURRENTLY in a seller's market for HG Silver X-Men. I'm sure you can pull out some recent stats to argue that, as can I. but it's obvious that prices fluctuate, especially from issue to issue. Technically, you can pick appart ANY broad market statement, but I can't be expected to pull out all my data, and create price fluctuation charts for each individual issue, just for the sake of a post. My point is, now is a good time to sell SA X-Men books compared to Bronze. I am/did not say anything about investment, long term pricing patterns, or anything of the sort. It's obvious that prices are mixed, but for the sake of the boards somtimes simplicity is better. My point was, bronze and silver X-Men books are going 2 different ways in the CURRENT market. If I was in a detailed debate about the stability and long term potential of SA books, I would have been a lot more specific than "SA X-Men is going up". Like I've pointed out in many posts, I believe in the potential of SA books, but if I were offering SERIOUS long term investment advice, beyond merely flipping books every few months or couple years, I would throw 75% of SA books out the window right off the bat.

Flipping books?

I mean looking to buy books with the intention of turning them over for a quick profit, as opposed to holding them for an investment. So pretty much doing what dealers do, but on a smaller scale. If you pay VERY close attention, are patient, and watch the market like a hawk, you can find these opportunites. And Silver HG is great for this because the higher price tags allow some wiggle room to make profit. But again, you have to know what you're doing.

But on the whole, there are a lot of Silvers that people are investing in now, that IMO will not sustain significant or constant gains as time goes on.....books like Iron Man #1 or Cap 100 just to name a few.

I was really surprised when the 98 in cgc 9.8 sold as low as it did. But with that noted, I think collectors are realizing there are tons on 9.4's and below of the 98's and early 100s x-men out there. Its getting that coveted book labeled 9.8 thats the tough one. Image what the 101 will go for when it surfaces