• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Census Effect

6 posts in this topic

Without looking at the rest of the census are those 9.6 numbers high, low or average for TOS book above say issue #70? I just picked up a 9.2 copy last week. Generally speaking TTA and TOS books above issue #70 seem to be plentiful in 9.4 and appear to be listed on a weekly basis. Welcome back.

I agree with you to an extent. Pre 1965 I agree the census has a huge influence on my buying habbits. I just bought a Green Lantern #6 on ebay and paid a very high premium but only because I found out through the census that there were only two higher graded copies. Books post 1965 in my opinion are much more common and you will run across this 24 copies in 9.4 and 17 copies in 9.8 [#@$%!!!] so with those books I say that the market will determine the value. Take Tales of Suspense #80 for example. There are a ton of 9.4 or higher copies but they still sell for more than your example of #89 because of the better Red Skull cover and more people want it.

Just my $0.02 sign-rantpost.gif

That's probably a fair statement that a great cover / issue will sell for more even if the census shows tons of copies.

For those who don't use Greg Holland's site for census compliation, it is practically invaluable.

Example:

TOS #51-99

As you can see, #74,80 & 89 have a lot more HG copies certified. And issues #78,79,81 & 95 have five or less copies graded in 9.4 or better. I Need to address those issues first if they become available. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif