• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CRYPT OF HORROR #1 COVER - BILL BLACK, WINGS COMICS #88

4 posts in this topic

I accidentally posted this earlier in the movie, tv, and games section ( I apologize ) so I am reposting it here where it belongs.

I hate to open a can of worms, but as I scrolled through the current COMICLINK auctions, I noticed an original art cover by BILL BLACK (CRYPT OF HORROR #1 COVER) that looked terribly familiar.  I collect Wings Comics ( golden age ) and I know my girls!!!

Turns out, the girl in the Bill Black image is an exact reversal of the image on cover of Wings Comics #88.  Is there any way in hell that this practice is justified?

CRYPT OF HORROR #1 COVER.jpg

WINGS COMICS #88, CGC 9.4.jpg

6 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Artists swipe from other artists all the time. This happened alot in the golden and silver age.

Absolutely true. Wally Wood, one of the greats IMO, famously said, "Never draw what you can swipe." And think of it this way: it's as close as you'll get to owning the Wings original!

Great catch, by the way. I enjoyed comparing the two covers.

Thanks for the input guys.  Gee if I'd have known it's okay to swipe from other artists so flagrantly, maybe I'd have been drawing comics for the last 40 years!

As a writer, I know I'm sensitive to others swiping my lines, but I've watched enough film to know it happens.    

My ebay ID = rooster.c  if you want to keep up with someone selling top end golden age and original art.

BTW, that Wings #88 CGC 9.4 is mine.  But it's not for sale.