• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Pricing? Confusion...am I the only one?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I've looked through the forums and can't find the answer...I feel dumb. Anyway...I don't get CGC's pricing. What is the price to grade a book that exceeds the max value? Also, how is the value determined? Overstreet price? Estimated value after CGC grading? 

1 hour ago, Sdmeyer11 said:

I've looked through the forums and can't find the answer...I feel dumb. Anyway...I don't get CGC's pricing. What is the price to grade a book that exceeds the max value? Also, how is the value determined? Overstreet price? Estimated value after CGC grading? 

There is only a max value by tier. If your book exceeds the max value, choose the next tier. The Walkthrough tier has no max value. The value is what you can best guess estimate, using whatever you are comfortable with. Overstreet, Sold E-Bay transactions, auction transactions, etc. If you grossly undervalue your book CGC will bump you into another tier and charge you accordingly. Also, be aware that the value you choose on the form, is the value that will be chosen for insurance and Return Shipping. Don't overthink it. It's really pretty straightforward. 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:02 AM, valiantman said:

Assume that your book is lost when it is being returned to you.  How much would you want in insurance (since you'll never see the book again)?  That's the value.

This is what I do. My formula leans towards the raw value plus the cost of shipping and slabbing. I don't assume a final graded value.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:49 PM, Terrapin said:

The tier is soley based on the insurance. You can submit a 50k book in the lowest tier and not be charged anything above that tier cost but if the book is damaged you get back only the insurance on that tier.

On a 50K book, walk-thru is the only available tier. 

14 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

Not if you don't mind insuring it for $100. You can submit any book in any tier you want.

You can submit into any tier you want but CGC will 'bump' you to the Walkthru tier and charge you accordingly. Maybe you got away with it on some lower valued books and tiers but no way will a 50K book go through a lower tier without being charged Walkthru rates.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You can submit into any tier you want but CGC will 'bump' you to the Walkthru tier and charge you accordingly. Maybe you got away with it on some lower valued books and tiers but no way will a 50K book go through a lower tier without being charged Walkthru rates.

That's not what I was told when I called CGC. They said the tiers are for insurance only and I can submit an expensive book in the lowest tier without penalty if I want to risk not getting fully compensated if it is lost or damaged.

4 hours ago, Terrapin said:

That's not what I was told when I called CGC. They said the tiers are for insurance only and I can submit an expensive book in the lowest tier without penalty if I want to risk not getting fully compensated if it is lost or damaged.

Since I'm not privy to your conversation with CGC, I can only say there must have been a misunderstanding.  Look at the pricing structure for the different tiers. Economy is 38.00 per book, Express is 100.00, and Walkthru is 3 % maxed out at 5K. Do you really think CGC would be okay with you submitting a 50K  book in an Economy Tier and only paying 38.00 ? I'm sure you were probably discussing books with smaller values, bordering between Value and Economy, something of that nature. They probably said whatever you are comfortable with is okay, no biggie. However, you cannot broad stroke that comment against all tiers . It's simply not true.  I hope you don't apply this logic to your Federal Tax brackets ?!? :baiting:

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Since I'm not privy to your conversation with CGC, I can only say there must have been a misunderstanding.  Look at the pricing structure for the different tiers. Economy is 38.00 per book, Express is 100.00, and Walkthru is 3 % maxed out at 5K. Do you really think CGC would be okay with you submitting a 50K  book in an Economy Tier and only paying 38.00 ? I'm sure you were probably discussing books with smaller values, bordering between Value and Economy, something of that nature. They probably said whatever you are comfortable with is okay, no biggie. However, you cannot broad stroke that comment against all tiers . It's simply not true.  I hope you don't apply this logic to your Federal Tax brackets ?!? :baiting:

But the extra cost for the tiers is their insurance cost. The value of the book doesn't make the grading process more expensive for them so if someone is willing, however risky, to relieve them if the insurance burden why wouldn't they allow that. I'll call them back to make sure I understood them correctly, but I was basically told you choose the tier based on how much you want us to insure you for your book if we do something stupid.

1 hour ago, Terrapin said:

But the extra cost for the tiers is their insurance cost. The value of the book doesn't make the grading process more expensive for them so if someone is willing, however risky, to relieve them if the insurance burden why wouldn't they allow that. I'll call them back to make sure I understood them correctly, but I was basically told you choose the tier based on how much you want us to insure you for your book if we do something stupid.

You are correct that the value you put on your book is reflected in the insurance CGC will charge you for shipping. However, the value of the book is also reflected in how much CGC charges for their services. The more expensive the book, the more they charge. If you were correct, CGC would simply charge a flat fee per book ? The tiers also reflect the turnaround time, the higher the tier, the faster the turnaround. You pay more for faster turnaround. I'm sure there was a misunderstanding in your original phone call. When you call ask them if you can put a 50K book in an Economy tier, as you originally claimed.