• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW Spider-Man book?

4 posts in this topic

saw this on Newsarama......

posted March 21, 2003 11:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marvel has confirmed that June’s issue #57 of Peter Parker: Spider-Man will be the series’ last. Long reported to be coming, with last fall’s issue #50 as one of the original targets for ending, the move will clear the decks for the launch of Spectacular Spider-Man, the new Spider-Man series by former Peter Parker writer Paul Jenkins and artist Humberto Ramos.

Issue #57 is part two of a two-part arc by Zeb Wells and Sam Kieth.

While Marvel would only say that Spectacular Spider-Man is launching “soon after” the end of Peter Parker, in the same solicitation where it mentions the resurrection of NYX, Wizard also hypes a preview of Spectacular Spider-Man.

If history is any indication (Wizard previewed Wolverine #1 with the issue that hit stores at the end of February, while the issue hits stores in May), Spectacular Spider-Man #1 in July or August at the latest.

The Spectacular launch was originally supposed to coincide with Kevin Smith and Terry Dodson taking over the creative duties on Amazing Spider-Man and the current Amazing team of J. Michael Straczynski and John Romita Jr. launching a new Spider-Man title. Given the difficulties in making his schedule coincide with that required for writing a monthly, Smith withdrew from writing Amazing monthly, which allowed Straczynski and Romita Jr. to remain on the title. According to Marvel E-I-C Joe Quesada, Smith is still on board for writing a Spider-Man project, although the format and launch date are undecided.

Here comes one of my rants. This is one problem I have with the comic industry(Marvel more so than DC). They tend to forget the past and is in it for pure marketing. How many times in the last five years has there been a NEW Spiderman 1? When will the collectors and readers say enough is enough? Why are they canceling Peter Parker: Spider-Man and relaunching Spectacular Spider-Man? Didn't they have the title up untill a dew years ago? Did they stop it for marketing and relaunching it for the same reason?

To be honest I will be picking it up just because Kevin Smith is involed with it and his GREEN ARROW brought me back into the comic book store after a five year absents. Not because it is the newest #1. I could care less. It is just a marketing ploy. CHRIS

They need to stop with all this rebooting BS immediately. It ruins the heritage of a series, if you can only point back 50 issues. If this continues Marvel will be losing one more customer..

Brian