• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Strange Adventures #180 Rare...

26 posts in this topic

..in high grade...

According to the CGC census there is 1 sick copy grade at 9.8 and the next highest down the rung are 3 9.0's and 3 8.5's...

Upon searching available sources of raw copies I have yet to find one in 8.0 or better....

So what's the scoop..did Animal Man tear up his own debut issue???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I really want a nice copy. I have a couple of copies, but neither are very nice. I've owned a few more over the years that I've sold off. The best was probably VF-. So... from my experience, it's a bear of a book to find.

The 9.8 is the PC copy, by the way.

I always liked the DC second tier heroes like Animal Man, Dial "H" for Hero, Elongated Man etc. ... heck...Metal Men was my favorite title back in the day...It seems like I was always in favor of the under dog....

I think that there is a legion of collectors out there that desire this book in HG and that the census numbers are more indicative of the "rarity" factor than the desirability factor...

it may or not end up as a tough book in HG, but working strongly against it (census and market-wise) is that it reached $255 in guide starting ten years ago (its run up that is) but hasnt been spoken of or heard from since! Until this thread there hasnt been a peep about the 4 SA appearances... I'll bet a dealer hasnt been asked for one in a long time either.

but, as things go, now may be the time to buy... sooner or later Animal Man will return!... and the book will look cheap, especially with a black cover!

the book guides at over $250 in 9.2, while demand is way down, it would seem worthwhile to slab a genuine 9.4 if you have it and are into that sort of thing. in fact, that may be the only way to sell the darn thing! people are sending generic 1970s marvels in for slabbing in that grade for criminey sake. heck, gold keys that nobody cares about get good prices in slabbed 9.4.

i have a 190 in what could be 9.4, but i guess that's not the question (and I guess the $50 I paid for it in 1995 now doesn't seem like such a great deal). my 180 is in the VG-Fine range somewhere like a bunch of $15 copies up on ebay now. luckily, that's about what i paid.

and yes, one day someone will do a nice job on another animal man series and people may care again about 180.

... which is another way of saying that it isnt hurting anyone just sitting quietly in a mylar at home for the time being rather than buying a slab and hoping a HG whore will overpay for it while its not highly in demand...

... which is another way of saying that it isnt hurting anyone just sitting quietly in a mylar at home for the time being rather than buying a slab and hoping a HG whore will overpay for it while its not highly in demand...

I bet it would go for decent bucks in 9.4 or above. Even when prices exploded for this book after Grant Morrison revived Animal Man, I don't recall seeing a lot of NM or better copies emerging.

well, if you have a 9.8 or 9.6, it would seem that now is a good time to sell anything like that. dunno what kind of premium, if any, above guide a slabbed 9.4 will get.

dunno what kind of premium, if any, above guide a slabbed 9.4 will get.

It would get a healthy premium at 9.4. [Edited to add the lonely GPA numbers]

(9.0) -261.00 - - 261.00 - Mar 2003 National P.. 1 1965 1

(8.5) -214.50 - - 214.50 - Feb 2003 National P.. 1 1965 1

yes, but those are 2 years ago. interest in animal man is now a more distant memory. but i agree, someone will pay a nice price for the grade and the fact that it once was a book people cared about. stuff that isn't in big supply always seems to become fashionable again.

yes, but those are 2 years ago.

Which means that anyone interested in a high grade copy has been waiting two years for another copy to surface, therefore streghtening bid muscles once one does show up.

Regardless, if an 8.5 sells for the NM guide price, then a NM copy is going to sell for a significant premium confused-smiley-013.gif

yes, but those are 2 years ago. interest in animal man is now a more distant memory.

Animal Man's revival was in the early 90s. The ongoing interest in his appearances probably reached a level of equilibrium many years ago. I can't imagine that the passage of two years has either increased or decreased interest in him.