• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you think of the Pep 22 sale?

7 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

250kish right?  What does the highest lone graded sale at this price say about Archie hanging with the boys with capes ?

I considered bidding on the Archie #1 restored 0.5 but eventually decided against it. Not because of the condition/restoration but because of other factors. I'm not an Archie fan and I do not read Archie comics. But as a GA collector, and as someone with an appreciation for history, Archie #1/Pep #22 are still very desirable. I'm sure to an Archie fan, they would mean a lot more, so I can only speak for myself.

Unlike the top superhero books, Archie's modern day connections present far fewer options. You probably won't find yourself at the water cooler debating an Archie adventure but you might find yourself discussing the MCU. I can go out and buy games from the Arkham series and live though Batman's universe utilizing technology that immerses you in a way comics don't.

Apples and oranges for sure. But if we were to look at Archie and superheroes as equally interesting characters, there's no doubt that the latter provides considerably more outlets to enjoy the character's universe.

4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

250kish right?  What does the highest lone graded sale at this price say about Archie hanging with the boys with capes ?

Right.  $252,100 http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=732549&title=PEPCOMICS

I thought it would go higher given its being the first Archie, given how hot Peps have been, given how tough it is to find in any grade, and given that's it's at the top of the census.  Apparently, Pep 22 was missing from the Church collection, so I don't know if there is a raw copy out there somewhere that might challenge it.

But I think this result does indicate that Pep 22 isn't quite in the same league as the other GA megakeys.  Not that $250K is anything to sneeze at! :)

37 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Right.  $252,100 http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=732549&title=PEPCOMICS

I thought it would go higher given its being the first Archie, given how hot Peps have been, given how tough it is to find in any grade, and given that's it's at the top of the census.  Apparently, Pep 22 was missing from the Church collection, so I don't know if there is a raw copy out there somewhere that might challenge it.

But I think this result does indicate that Pep 22 isn't quite in the same league as the other GA megakeys.  Not that $250K is anything to sneeze at! :)

I always thought there was an MH copy of Pep 22. 

14 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
52 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Apparently, Pep 22 was missing from the Church collection, so I don't know if there is a raw copy out there somewhere that might challenge it.

I always thought there was an MH copy of Pep 22. 

Yes, although both of the Pep 22 and the Archie 1 are not listed in Chuck's MH Catalogue, Church copies of both of these books definitely do exist and was most likely snagged right off the bat by some wise and alert collector.  :gossip:

I believe I read an article in either the CBG or CBM that Geppi had acquired both of these copies for something like $100K which was rather big news at the time.  Not sure where they are right now, but rumours have them in the private collection of the Dentist when Geppi had to sell them off due probably to some of his financial issues at the time.  hm

5 minutes ago, 143ksk said:

The sale was reported in the October 1997 Comic Book Marketplace. I believe lou fine is correct about the current whereabouts of the Church Pep 22.

Interesting that it was held out of the Pep Church sale on Heritage last November.  Easy to understand why, I guess. :)