• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting a signature at a con

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to CGC collecting and I would like to know if somebody could give me some tips on how I go about getting my books signed and graded (SS) at a convention.

I want to go to this year's Baltimore Comic-con and Tom King and David Finch will be there.  

How do I find a CGC witness while at the con? is it as easy as going to the CGC booth and requesting one?

Thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, Palermo said:

Hi, I'm new to CGC collecting and I would like to know if somebody could give me some tips on how I go about getting my books signed and graded (SS) at a convention.

I want to go to this year's Baltimore Comic-con and Tom King and David Finch will be there.  

How do I find a CGC witness while at the con? is it as easy as going to the CGC booth and requesting one?

Thanks in advance 

hit the nail on the head.  Go to the CGC booth and ask about the process for that show and for that artist.  Sometimes they go with you directly.  If there's a long line you might have to text the witness when you get close to the front, or make some other arrangement. IN SOME cases, they might have a CGC witness already assigned to popular creators or celebs.  But either way, the first thing you should do is go to the CGC booth and ask.  They're generally friendly and will take care of you.

If you go to the signature subform on these boards, there are threads about how to prep your books (optional but recommended) for getting sigs in the right place and minimizing risk of damage to your book.  You can also request CGC SS forms direct from CGC if you want to fill them out ahead of time. Just call or email CGC, and they will snail mail them to you.

I did this for the first time a few weeks ago. Before that, every SS book I bought was either already slabbed, or done through a facilitator.

The only others things I'd add to revat's post is: 

1) it helps before you go to the CGC booth to check if the creators are signing at that time. Each will have their own schedule, and you can always just stop by quickly, talk to their handler, and ask how long they're currently planning to sign for (if they're currently signing), or when they'll be back (if they're away from the booth, often there's a sign that says what time they plan to be back). That way, you avoid the letdown of getting a witness (and potentially having to wait for one if it's busy), and then getting to the creator only to find out they're not signing...

2) sometimes, CGC has private signings with certain creators. In those cases, you can just drop your books off with CGC and they'll be put into the pile to get signed. In general though, unless you're getting a lot of books / lot of creators signatures, I enjoy the process of actually meeting and talking with the creators in person. You also get to handle your books yourself for as long as possible.