• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nycc (how many days and other suggestions?)

15 posts in this topic

Too many!

In all seriousness, both SDCC & NYCC have so much stuff happening at any given time that you'll miss out on stuff pretty much whatever you do.

If you're only going there to buy comic books & related items, you can probably get away with spending just a couple of days at either show - if you're looking for the full pop-culture experience with panels, signings, screenings, giveaways, etc, you'll have to attend every single day *and* also have a plan in place for what you're wanting to do.

As Mike said, the show can be overwhelming.

• You have to plan in advance for any panels that you wish to see and sometimes devote a portion of your day to wait on a line if it is something that you feel is REALLY important and is going to be crowded.  
  • I would remember though to comparative shop.  Just because it is there does not mean you need to buy it at the show.  If it is there and you see it on Amazon dramatically cheaper or at the same price, then order it over Amazon and have it shipped home to you for free.  That has happened with a couple of things that I saw vendors have that I wanted.  Why carry it? 
  • I would remember that if it is something that you can safely bring home without the box and you were going to throw the box out anyway then open it and get rid of the box so you don't have to lug it around all day. 
  • Commissions?  Get the commission locked down ASAP especially if you are doing it and need a CGC witness.  Sometimes that commission you ordered on Thursday is really not available for three days and must be picked up on Sunday.  I know that when I get there I am going straight to Larry Hama (yo joe!)
  • Be nice to the CGC reps.  The place is insane and they really are trying to do their best. 
  • Be aware of knock offs.  Seriously.  You will see this with the Lego minifigure tables and some of the tables offering random transformers.  I am not talking about Bandai or BBTS or any of the other licensed retailers selling MP Transformers or Third Party stuff... I am talking about some of the random vendors that are selling anything and everything.  I have spotted some knock Offs and in one case... I believe the seller was genuinely surprised.
  • And... for my peace of mind... if this is your first time around the city... please walk with a purpose if you are in front of a crowd. 
  • If you are bringing kids... FORGET ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO SEE... it's not about YOU if you bring kids.  Watch them.  More kids go missing (and are eventually found) than most people realize.  Kids wander off and adults in a daze seem to think their kid is at their hip when it is not their kid and it is really some adult cosplaying as Tyrion Lannister. 

If I can think of more I will list them in the thread. 

I usually bring snacks and water from outside (Duane Reade (Walgreens) and CVS), since the food prices are really high.  There were food trucks last year, which was better than the convention hall food.

As you enter the convention center, security will look inside your bags.

I only go for the comic books, so I can run through the convention in one day, but usually go two days. 

If you want autographs or photo ops, buy tickets as soon as possible.  Some guests will sell out fast especially photo ops.

Wear comfortable walking shoes.  The convention floor will wear out even the most hearty attendees.

My plan for fun...share yours too.

Saturday and sunday.

Signatures series through nycomics...spiderman 50 and 300 (romita and mcfarlane).

Cgc blue: spidey 14, 129

Cgc yellow: uncanny avengers 1 adi granov scarlet witch variant.

Raw signatures: louise simonson on xfactor 6. Mattina on venom 150. Alex saviuk on a maximum carnage book... jerome opena on some uncanny xforce. Uncanny xforce 1 crain variant signed by louise simonson, fabian nicesia, and Chris Claremont adding to the other sigs  it already has. 

Waste an hour and 100+ bux for the wife to get a sons of anarchy worthless photo (sigh)

Upgrade my hulk 181 cgc 5 to a 7. 

Other than that walk around and enjoy everything about the con except the crowds.

A question...worth it to get romita Sig on the spidey 129 or get it blue label? It's about a 7.0. Tight budget and keeping it for myself.

I just did a deal with a boardie to upgrade a book in my ASM set.   I am always looking for upgrades that make sense at certain price points.

There are a couple of Golden Age books that I am looking for. 

Larry Hama commission is a must. 

I will look at some of the other art as I am always interested in GI Joe pages.   

Might sit in on a few panels.

Probably meet up with a boardie or two. 

i think one of my friends who runs an internet show asked if I would do an interview.  I do not know yet what that will entail. 

We will see. 

3 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Do panelists offer time for autographs before and/or after?

it depends. Some do some dont. You need to be close to front row to have a chance. When I saw Bill Paxton at a panel (rip) as soon as it was over I quickly walked up and asked and he was happy to sign for some fans before he left. Others just leave right away.

On 9/16/2017 at 8:06 PM, shadroch said:

If you bring kids, get a proximity alarm that lets you know when they've wandered so far from you. Set it about 15 feet. 

leash them up.  it is a huge PITA, although i do it every year. 

Bring water. Snacks. Hide them in case some over zealous type at the entry area intrudes. I am going to bring real food this year, not just a container of cookies and what not for the kids. 

There are water fountains, but they might not be anywhere near where you are about to pass out, plus they get gross after being used by 30,000 people each.

Pack a lunch.

Review the floor plan and highlight specific areas you want to hit.

Wear comfortable shoes.

If you have foot problems like me, bring a small beach chair.

Im going Thursday and Friday and have prearranged a few commissions.