• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on my upcoming submission candidates

11 posts in this topic

So I have a boat load of mid/late BA 9.6 slabs that I paid between $20-$30 each for with older holders (4+ years.) These are permanent long term holdings for me personally. I really like the latest gen CGC slab holders and definitely will be sending them in to be re-holdered. However part of me is curious; was kicking around the idea of having them cracked, pressed, and submitted from scratch. The added cost is not terrible to do this and if I could get a bump to 9.8 on just 25%-33% of the submission would more than pay for itself. Any of you with experience doing this feel to add comments. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, ARCHIVED COLLECTIBLES said:

So I have a boat load of mid/late BA 9.6 slabs that I paid between $20-$30 each for with older holders (4+ years.) These are permanent long term holdings for me personally. I really like the latest gen CGC slab holders and definitely will be sending them in to be re-holdered. However part of me is curious; was kicking around the idea of having them cracked, pressed, and submitted from scratch. The added cost is not terrible to do this and if I could get a bump to 9.8 on just 25%-33% of the submission would more than pay for itself. Any of you with experience doing this feel to add comments. Thanks.

I assume grader's notes would be your friend on this one, along with opinions of a quality presser, perhaps joeypost. I'm in the same boat on a recent purchase on whether a press/clean would help, as I don't have a lot of experience with a press, I'm going with joeypost once he is up and running (he is in Florida:wishluck:). Perhaps some only have bends or other pressable defects. Anything with "foxing" or "breaks color" is not pressable, that's all I know and may be a cheaper alternative to find candidates :) 

22 minutes ago, ARCHIVED COLLECTIBLES said:

I'm confused. In one sentence you talk about "permanent long term holdings" and then a little later you talk about how "the submission would more than pay for itself."

If it's just for your collection and the grade increase would make you happy, then crack them out and press. I'm not a big fan of the strategy because I've had mixed results with pressing, but we're talking about your collection.

Even if you have them pressed, I'm not sure I would do them en masse. You should try to evaluate the pressing potential of a book before cracking them out. Sometimes a 9.6 is "all she's got, Capt'n!" Pressing is far from a magical solution for most books. If a few spine tricks break the color, then no amount of pressing will get you to your magic number.

You could always pay the pressing professional to pre-screen your books, but this will drastically increase the cost of an already expensive proposition.

If you're planning to sell these for a profit one day, then that changes the entire game plan.

Edited by newshane

9 minutes ago, newshane said:

I'm confused. In one sentence you talk about "permanent long term holdings" and then a little later you talk about how "the submission would more than pay for itself."

It is just a way for me to mentally justify the math on the cost vs. me being able to dump that into acquiring other comics. I am on a fixed budget so how I allocate funds over time really matters.

24 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I assume grader's notes would be your friend on this one, along with opinions of a quality presser, perhaps joeypost. I'm in the same boat on a recent purchase on whether a press/clean would help, as I don't have a lot of experience with a press, I'm going with joeypost once he is up and running (he is in Florida:wishluck:). Perhaps some only have bends or other pressable defects. Anything with "foxing" or "breaks color" is not pressable, that's all I know and may be a cheaper alternative to find candidates :) 

I still have some 9.8's left that I will compare and contrast. I am aware of the above variables. But other than a deal breaker flaw, would be curious to tangibly see in person how tight the gap is between the two grades when you have a NM+ comic that has been sandwiched in a slab for 4+ years and then pressed out and the probability of it getting a bump.

5 minutes ago, ARCHIVED COLLECTIBLES said:

It is just a way for me to mentally justify the math on the cost vs. me being able to dump that into acquiring other comics. I am on a fixed budget so how I allocate funds over time really matters.

ln this case, I think it would better to use your money to invest in other comics.