• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get my ASM #667 Dell'otto Variant signed?

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, new to the site. I have the chance to get my copy of ASM #667 variant by Mr. Gabrielle Dell'Otto signed and graded, but I don't know if I should just send it to get graded without being signed. I like the signature series and have multiple of them but for this comic I'm at a crossroad. Since I've had it, I haven't sent it in for grading because I've been paranoid of it getting lost, stolen, etc. but I think it's time I get it graded. Any opinions or what you would do in my situation would be appreciated :bigsmile:

1 hour ago, ct0318 said:

Hey everyone, new to the site. I have the chance to get my copy of ASM #667 variant by Mr. Gabrielle Dell'Otto signed and graded, but I don't know if I should just send it to get graded without being signed. I like the signature series and have multiple of them but for this comic I'm at a crossroad. Since I've had it, I haven't sent it in for grading because I've been paranoid of it getting lost, stolen, etc. but I think it's time I get it graded. Any opinions or what you would do in my situation would be appreciated :bigsmile:

Check the census for what proportion of the graded copies have sigs to see if you think the world needs another one.  I don't collect sigs or variants in particular, but as I recall there is a small but passionate group of members here very fond of discussing every aspect of this particular comic, so if you find their gush/bash thread (in Copper/Modern probably) maybe they can help with useful insights.

2 hours ago, grebal said:

Check the census for what proportion of the graded copies have sigs to see if the world needs another one.  I don't collect sigs or variants in particular, but as I recall there is a small but passionate group of members here very fond of discussing every aspect of this particular comic, so if you find their gush/bash thread (in Copper/Modern probably) maybe they can help with useful insights.

^^

I would not have it signed. It doesn't add value and imo that simple white cover will suffer negatively with black signature. Gab signs lots of stuff that book is just too rare. It's been on my want list for years only one has shown up on eBay that I saw. Sold in minutes of being listed. That's my two cents 

look up the values of the CGC SS vs CGC vs raw prices for the estimated grade (be conservative).  Do the math on shipping, sig fee, pressing fee (optional), grading fee, insurance, and factor in your own risk preferences.  See if the financial value difference works out to your own preferences (as you might actually like having sigs on your books, everyone is different).

On 9/21/2017 at 4:23 PM, ct0318 said:

I don't understand, are you doing this just for the financials = you are planning on selling it ? If it's a keeper, leave it alone. This book is so expensive, if you do submit, I would first make sure it was scheduled on a private insurance policy. IMO, sticking a 5K+ book in the mail without proper coverage is crazy. Personally, I would submit it with a same day tier and not get the signature. This does not preclude you from getting a signature in the future. Getting a fast turnaround of a few days will ease the stress !

8 hours ago, revat said:

look up the values of the CGC SS vs CGC vs raw prices for the estimated grade (be conservative).  Do the math on shipping, sig fee, pressing fee (optional), grading fee, insurance, and factor in your own risk preferences.  See if the financial value difference works out to your own preferences (as you might actually like having sigs on your books, everyone is different).

FYI, this is not an easy book to do the math on. There are 0 currently listed for sale, either raw or graded.There is no recorded sales data for a SS. Only 32 graded in total with only a few recorded sales in the past two years, again 0 for SS .  As far as 'looking up the values', where ? Nothing I would trust as accurate.