• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Not the AURORA SUPERMAN model comic.

13 posts in this topic

The model kit definitely came before the comic whose cover scan I posted above. I remember putting together the Superman model kit in the mid-1970s, and I may have seen ads for similar kits in Silver Age comics I later came across. The Jerry Ordway cover is a self-conscious reference to the model kit of 20 years earlier, my only uncertainty is if there is an earlier issue that pre-dated the model kit.

While we're on the subject, I also had the Batman kit, with him swinging down from a tree branch, possibly throwing a batarang at the same time. I remember the several-page mini-comic that was included had some cool art by I believe Giordano, done very much in the O'Neil/Adams/Novick/Giordano style of the time. Great stuff!

Cheers,

Z.

I've seen those AURORA comics slabbed quite a few times. They always seem graded high. 9.2's, 9.4's, and 9.6's. Must be bacause they still find them in those COMIC SCENE kits.

BTW; I use to build those kits too. I still have my Captain America, Tonto, Batman, and Superman Aurora comics. But they are no where near a 9.0. Too much paint and glue on them.

I built those Aurora models in 1964, and a few more times the next couple of years. Superman was .98c, Batman $1.49.

Built them all, Superboy and Krypto, Robin, Hulk, Spider-Man, Captain America, Green Hornet's Black Beauty, Batmobile, Batboat and so on.

Wish I had kept an unopened box of each! But you don't really think about that when you're 10 years old.

I used to build them to. Had a lot of the monster ones. Werewolf, Dracula, Frankenstein and Superman etc. One day I was bored so my neighbor and I lined them up and shot BB's at them. Lotsa fun at the time. Busting the heads open was the best part.

But now, I wish I still had 'em. frown.gif

My younger brother did most of the destruction. I used to put them together so many times that the glue started melting the plastic.

Had most of the Universal monsters and some of the Rat Fink models too.