• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a value on this painted Josh Kirby piece

7 posts in this topic

Hi All!

I picked up this piece in a heritage auction YEARS ago - I cant recall when but maybe 10 years or so?

It's by Josh Kirby who was a famous sci-fi painter - He did a lot of posters, book covers, and is probably most famous for the UK Return of the Jedi poster.

He mostly did pulp and paperback book covers.

Anyhow - This was an unused (Too violent) painting he did for a book called THE SHARK HUNTERS.

Its an awesome piece - full of movement and color. Its a little over 12" high and 19" wide.

Just wondering what the value on this might be?

Thank you!

IMG_5725.JPG

IMG_5726.JPG

hi,

first off want to say, this is a cool looking piece.

I also collect illustration art and while this is not exactly what I  collect (i am into 50s/60s magazine art) , I pay attention to auctions. my guess - if its not published as you say, is $700-1200 if it were up for auction today -including auction buyers premium.  Somewhere on my bookshelf I have a Josh Kirby art book, and from what I know about him - he is most famous for sci fi works.   this one is not in that realm and while it is very well done, isn't going to hit nostalgia buttons as its not published.

hopefully you decide to hang on to it and continue to enjoy it.

my 2c

Edited by Panelfan1

On 9/29/2017 at 8:58 PM, Panelfan1 said:

hi,

first off want to say, this is a cool looking piece.

I also collect illustration art and while this is not exactly what I  collect (i am into 50s/60s magazine art) , I pay attention to auctions. my guess - if its not published as you say, is $700-1200 if it were up for auction today -including auction buyers premium.  Somewhere on my bookshelf I have a Josh Kirby art book, and from what I know about him - he is most famous for sci fi works.   this one is not in that realm and while it is very well done, isn't going to hit nostalgia buttons as its not published.

hopefully you decide to hang on to it and continue to enjoy it.

my 2c

Thank you!

I love sharks which is actually why I bought it, so It'll be hanging for a while (Even though my wife HATES it! ha!)

Hi Tyler,

As the marketing director for the Josh Kirby estate, I can tell you that Shark Hunters was done in September of 1970 and sandwiched between four Tarzan covers which might have influenced his direction for this one. That aside, his paintings range from $200 on the stupidly low end (as in, grab it if you can), to a high end of just under $3000, with two sections. One section hovering around or above $1000 average, and another at about $700 average

For example, in the past year we've won several at auction:

• $450 for two pieces (both were paintings from the Forrest Ackerman collection) $200 plus $250.
  • $1300 for an Isaac Asimov cover from the 60's
  • $2800 for one of the covers for Ray Bradbury's Farehnheit 451 
  • $730 for skull and dubloons
  • $600 for Lord's Pink Ocean

With that, Josh's wish was to have a permanent exhibit of his paintings so we are looking to purchase whatever we can to honour his wishes. If you'd be interested in selling, we'd offer you a bit more than market value or do our best to work out a deal to your satisfaction, now or in the future.

Please email me with any questions or interest.

Sincerely, 

Rob Liano
Marketing Director - Josh Kirby Art
rob@joshkirbyart.com 

Asimov.jpg

F-451 & Pink Ocean.jpg