• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Friend Christian ...

50 posts in this topic

My good friend Christian Davis was brutally shot in his home on May 4th, and his mother was killed. Three weeks later Christian is still in the trauma ICU unit at a local hospital. This is a link from a local television station that covered the story:

http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?s=3306833

I bring this to the boards because Christian was a comic book collector. I introduced (the now 18 year old) Christian to comics at an early age by giving him reader copies of my own books, as well as buying him comics and graphic novels for his birthday and Christmas. While he never had much money, Chris continued his reading and collecting of comics. His recent favorite titles are Astonishing X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man, Batman, Superman and he recently read Identity Crisis. I know his most cherished back issue collectible comic is a mid grade Hulk 102 he begged his mom to buy for him.

I want to ask you, my friends in the collecting community, if anyone has any reader comics that they would like to donate to Christian Davis. Chris will have a very long recovery in the hospital and rehabilitation, and is certain to have some amount of paralysis. Initially, he will have to have comics read to him until he regains some amount of mobility.

If you are interested, it does not matter what title, age, condition, etc. I think Chris would just be glad to escape his world for the short time a comic can allow him.

Please PM me if you would like to make a donation, I will give you a address to send the books. Due to the fact that Christian's assailant was never caught, I would prefer not to list either the hospital he is in or any other addresses on the website.

Thank you all.

frown.gif

words fail me at the moment....

Does he like SA as oppossed to MA stuff???...

He actively buys modern books, but I have seen him read SA reprints and he did buy that Hulk 102, so I don't think it really matters.

Man, I can't remember hearing something so terrible in a long time...best wishes and heartfelt condolences to your young friend.

I have a number of TPBs that are just collecting dust in the garage...send me a PM and I'll get them together for shipping...

From the news story:

"Christian was a good hearted kid, (my) daughter hung out with him. He protected kids walking home from elementary school. He's a big dude who had a heart of gold."

This just doesn't seem fair...poor kid.

Alright Forumites, let's do a little good here. PM Silver and give a little for someone clearly deserving and in need.

Just to clarify something...

Chris's mom Jenny was a single mother. After her tragic death, their rental house was put up for sale. Chris is living in a hospital currently, so I do not have an address other than my own or the hospital's to give out. While sending your package to me will probably get it to Chris quicker, I will give out the hospital address on request.

Thanks so much for the support some of you have already shown; you all are awesome.

If this is crass forget it but, I'd like to think for all the BS I read here most people I've met in the hobby are decent human beings. Could you just let us know if Christain gets a crapload of books. I know nothing could change the kind of pain that kid is in but, would like to think the kindness of strangers would be real good for someone whoose gotten about the worst the world has to offer in the last month. I'd like to think the poor kids room will be stacked with books by Monday.

There have been about a dozen board members who have asked for an address to send books to. I got the first package on Tuesday, which was a real nice big box. We took some books down to Christian, but he is being moved from trauma ICU to another ICU. Some folks elected to send books directly to the hospital, so it may take a couple of extra days to reach Christian, as it is a big hospital.

Chris has another surgery this week, it will probably be next week before he even really sees the stuff you all are sending.

I just cannot tell you all enough how truly tragic this all is. There is a new news story that was on the local news yesterday about a local dairy putting up a reward for information:

http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3419126&nav=168XaXr0

I too would like to see Christian's room brimming with comics. You all have been so generous, and I personally appreciate all that you all have done for him so far. I even sent a e-mail to Mile High Chuck and I got a message today that they were going to send a package.

Again, thank you to all of you. If you are still interested, please PM me and I will give you either my address or the address of the hospital so you can send Christian a package.

I know nothing could change the kind of pain that kid is in but, would like to think the kindness of strangers would be real good for someone whoose gotten about the worst the world has to offer in the last month. I'd like to think the poor kids room will be stacked with books by Monday.

Well said! 893applaud-thumb.gif

C'mon guys! If you haven't PM'd Dan yet, what are you waiting for??? confused-smiley-013.gif