• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wichita Eagle reports on FX Toys Joel Magee's purchase of AF 15
1 1

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

In the worst case (and I mean, entire piece missing, not chipping, or folded-in) I still don't see it dropping below a 4.5. I've seen mid-grades with Marvel chipping along the entire outer edge of the book. Also consider this book, time and time again, has demonstrated it's ability to sell for a premium when it presents better than it's assigned grade.

CGC goes easy on Marvel chipping because it is considered a production issue. The bottom left corner of this book has a large, maybe one inch square piece missing, definitely not production. Being so straight it looks like it was cut out ? I would not consider this mid grade or even 4.5 . 

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

WOW, did not know this about the standard dealer payout percentages in the collectible toys market

It is not, and that is why it's important to raise awareness to avoid confusion. 10% is by no means a standard "dealer payout" practice, and it's why an investigation was launched by a BBB investigator as early as 2009, and later in 2012.

29 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

CGC goes easy on Marvel chipping because it is considered a production issue. The bottom left corner of this book has a large, maybe one inch square piece missing, definitely not production. Being so straight it looks like it was cut out ? I would not consider this mid grade or even 4.5 . 

We'll agree to disagree here. On eye-appeal alone, I would still rather take this:

AF15.jpg.0293ee09cc5905fd60cb5f7ebc780f8

Over this:

AF15_cgc.jpg

3 hours ago, GACollectibles said:
3 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

It's amazing how you guys are assigning a grade to this book without seeing the back cover.

Using the X-Ray Specs I bought as a kid I can see it just fine: a corner crease, slightly dirty and a light stain from a glass of Tang.

You actually use those for something besides looking at blouses and skirts?

38 minutes ago, Pontoon said:
3 hours ago, GACollectibles said:
4 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

It's amazing how you guys are assigning a grade to this book without seeing the back cover.

Using the X-Ray Specs I bought as a kid I can see it just fine: a corner crease, slightly dirty and a light stain from a glass of Tang.

You actually use those for something besides looking at blouses and skirts?

This one time, yes.  You're welcome.

Edited by GACollectibles